Disappointed with range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
juniorbeep said:
how do you get to the service menu... now i'm curious to see the battery status !

Yes I'd like to know that too?!
My car is booked in with BMW on 24th Nov. In the meantime I'm doing 32 miles a day commuting in comfort mode and I'm recharging every night. I've given up trying to squeeze out a few extra miles when I know the max range is still poor.

Copied from Facebook Group (Dean Upton submitted this file)

To enter the menu, hold down the trip meter button on the side of the instrument cluster screen for 10 seconds. From then on, pressing this button means "next" and holding down the button means "select".

To begin with you have only these options available:

1 Identification
1.01 Conv. Index (1/mls)
1.02 SWFL 1
1.03 VIN
1.04 HMI Version
2 System test
3 Start roller
10 Unlock

To unlock the following menus, you will need the VIN from 1.03 above. Add the last FOUR digits together (other BMW models require adding the last five digits) to get your unlock code. e.g if your VIN is L12345, your code is 2+3+4+5=14. If that doesn't work, try adding the last five digits.

11 Consumption
11.01 Consumption dist. (l/km)
11.02 Consumption time (l/h)

12 Range
12.01 Range consumption (l/100km)
12.02 Range (km)

13 Fuel Tank/Battery
13.01 tank left (ohm)
13.02 tank right
13.03 tank left (litres) - zero
13.04 tank right 7.9l
13.05 tank total
13.07 display value
13.07 tank phase. 1
13.08 Batt. Kapa. Max. 19.8 kWh (maximum designed battery capacity)
13.09 State of charge
13.10 Batt. Ladung (battery charge)
13.11 Batt. Anziege (battery meter indication)

14.01 O. Temp. Sensor
14.02 O. Temp. Raw data
14.03 coolant temp
14.04 oil temp
14.05 batterietemp

15.01 litre counter
15.02 time counter
15.03 distance counter
15.04 kWh-Zaehler ("kWh counter")

16.01 v CAN (km/h)
16.02 v Display (km/h)
16.03 Cruise Control (km/h)
16.04 Rev. Counter (1/min)

17 System Voltage
17.01 Ubatt (V)

18 Accoustics
19 DTC
20 Dimming LCD
20.01 LCD temp. Sensor (ADC)
20.02 LCD temperature (C)
20.03 Light sensor
20.04 LCD luminance

21 Dimming PWM
21.01 Dimming wheel
21.02 Display
21.03 Scales/pt. orange
21.04 Underfloor pointer
21.05 Status lights
21.06 Status lights blue

22 CBS (condition based service)
22.01 km/year short term (km)
22.02 service call status
22.03 Limit, time (Month)
22.04 Limit, distance (km)

23 Check
24 Correct. Factor (careful!)
25 software reset

Well I have spoken with the local dealer and they are taking the car in to inspect it. They said they have an ‘efficiency’ update to do? Also asked if they know anything about the
recall to 'inspect the Rex spline’ mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

I am concerned. I have owned my i3 for 8 months & when I charge it the estimated maximum range has dropped from about 80 miles to about 60 miles. These seem to be real world - as opposed to computer predicted ranges as I could get 80+ miles before the REX cut in going cross country & now it's clearly less. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar apparent drop in battery performance, because at this rate I will be pushing for a battery replacement under guarantee within a year. Which is worrying.

I understand the computer is smarter than I am, but I monitor the predicted against actual mileage closely & initially I could beat the prediction by 5-10% when it was estimating 80 miles, but now it's 60miles & I can't beat it [driving cross country].

Let's see what it's like after it has it's REX drive shaft update.

Geoff

Your experience is similar to mine and my i3 is now with the dealer. Interestingly, I was told they have had ‘quite a few’ i3 in for similar reasons. Guess I need to wait for the efficiency improvement!

Have you got any details about the ‘REX Drive Shaft Update’? My dealer says he has no info...

The spline inspection is only for specific vehicles, you will contacted by BMW if it applies, my july build is not listed.

You dealer can check your VIN number if your really concerned.

Range is affected by outside temp, what heating/cooling options you use (well, any options, but those are the biggest, normally), the terrain, and your driving style. As it gets colder, using the heater (especially if you do not have the heat pump) or the electric seat heaters or the rear window defogger can affect your overall range to a fairly significant degree. There's a few I-drive pages that can show you what is using what power, and how much that is affecting your range. A review of that may isolate where the power is going, and help indicate if there's a problem or not. If you can precondition while still connected to your EVSE, that can help maximize your range on the daily commute as well. A pre-condition on my BEV saw it drawing 12A at 243vac (about 2.8Kw/hr, and it ran for about 30-minutes, so 1.4Kw or about 7-8% of the battery capacity). A REx would be using more since it does not have a heat pump, and resistance heating is 1:1 verses the heat pump which might reach 3-4:1 (watts out verses watts in). So, if my 1.4Kw to precondition (and the car would do a similar thing while driving) on a BEV is consistent, on a REx, if the heat pump verses resistance heating number is accurate, 25% in range could be a real thing (but I think that may be on the high side).

I bought an inexpensive volt/amp meter from Amazon and installed it on the feed to my EVSE, and volts*amps=watts, so I can figure out how much power is being used at any one instant.

Today I pre-warmed/ preconditioned it & the car still said 63 miles range so I remain concerned. Does anyone know what "battery preconditioning" is. Or how long it takes? I am running the car interior pretty cool - 18C in a 14C climate so I would be surprised if the resistive heating dropped 20 miles off the range. 2 I could believe, but not 20.

Geoff

jadnashuanh said:
Range is affected by outside temp, what heating/cooling options you use (well, any options, but those are the biggest, normally), the terrain, and your driving style. As it gets colder, using the heater (especially if you do not have the heat pump) or the electric seat heaters or the rear window defogger can affect your overall range to a fairly significant degree. There's a few I-drive pages that can show you what is using what power, and how much that is affecting your range. A review of that may isolate where the power is going, and help indicate if there's a problem or not. If you can precondition while still connected to your EVSE, that can help maximize your range on the daily commute as well. A pre-condition on my BEV saw it drawing 12A at 243vac (about 2.8Kw/hr, and it ran for about 30-minutes, so 1.4Kw or about 7-8% of the battery capacity). A REx would be using more since it does not have a heat pump, and resistance heating is 1:1 verses the heat pump which might reach 3-4:1 (watts out verses watts in). So, if my 1.4Kw to precondition (and the car would do a similar thing while driving) on a BEV is consistent, on a REx, if the heat pump verses resistance heating number is accurate, 25% in range could be a real thing (but I think that may be on the high side).

I bought an inexpensive volt/amp meter from Amazon and installed it on the feed to my EVSE, and volts*amps=watts, so I can figure out how much power is being used at any one instant.

Yes, I think most of us know this. However, the people who are highlighting this problem are seeing a significant reduction in range over a period of time with (probably) the same driving style. I think there is a fault and it appears that BMW does as well. Today a full charge in eco pro + showed 73 miles which dropped to 69 when i left the house and 500m later showed 65. The car now shows SOC 82% electric range 54 miles.

I'm pretty sure I too am seeing a deterioration that isn't warranted for the temporature change even tho I've only had the car for 5 weeks and 1500 miles, all driving EcoPro, climate set to 21C, AC off. In week 2 I did 91 miles from 100% charge pre-REx, at 18C over 2 legs over 2 days, with precon on day 1 only, mainly country A roads with a max of 50mph.

10 days later I did 71 miles pre REx, with precon precon, 2-4C, 20 miles A roads with some hilly/twisty sections at up to 50mph, then motorway on cruise at 62mph. Not unhappy with that given the temp.

Now at 8-10C, precon, I'm seeing 62-66 predicted and I'm not bettering it on country A roads max 50mph. If the reduction is purely temperature related the range isn't going to be too good when UK sub-zero morning temps arrive and worse in colder climates.

I had my car in March and was doing the same commute as I do now in the same temperatures as we have now, driving with the same settings as now. My predicted range has dropped from typically low to mid 80s to low to mid 60s. This has happened in the last 2 weeks, when the behaviour of switching between comfort, eco pro and eco pro + has also changed such that it now has virtually no impact on predicted range. I honestly think there is a problem somewhere but I don't know where. I remember seeing an interview in which it was clear that the range calculations are not done in car but via comms with a central brain somewhere. Perhaps BMW are playing with the algorithm as we head into the i3's first winter, so that they don't end up with stranded punters.

It doesn't need to go much lower for the predicted range to be less than 70 % of what it was when the car was new.

Regards

Bill

For optimum capacity, the batteries need to be within a certain temperature range. I do not know what that is, but there's a lot of mass there in that battery pack.

There's a screen you can view that breaks down what each segment of the power usage is, and how much it affects your range...check the owner's manual to find it, and check!

The predicted range is just a guess, and your current trip may or may not work out the same. If you put in a route, it then takes into account elevation changes and traffic and that can give you a better indication.

I do think its patronising when people come on here offering experienced owners words of wisdom like the heater will effect their range!!
I've tried literally everything to optimise my actual range before Rex kicks in and my absolute record is about 64 miles. This is not predicted range, this is actual. This is with pre-conditioning, over 95% driving efficiency in ecopro and ecopro+ driving like a pensioner, away from main roads, tyre pressures correct, aux power use like the heater fan kept to a minimum. I am currently resigned to about 52 miles of range for normal driving and daily charging until BMW have looked at it. Seems like I am not alone with these issues.

Someone new to an EV, and many who aren't technical coming from a history of driving an ICE just do not know what affects the range on an EV. Since most people here do not know each other, sometimes, what is obvious to one, it totally foreign or unknown to others. So, take the comments with that in mind. FOr those that do not have a heat pump, and rely on a resistance heater, that will make a difference on their range. Same is true for many other aspects of the vehicle. BMW thought of this, and have a graphic display that tells you what each function is using and the affect it has on your range, and is a good place to start. Someone living on the plains verses the mountains could easily see significant differences in range from one user to another. Take what may apply to you and if it helps, fine, without intimate knowledge of your situation (that is not expected on this type of forum), means, that you may or may not get a response that applies to your situation.

Temp is a huge variable for EVs. Case in point. My Volt is rated at 35 miles of range. On my best day with mild temps, slow, steady speeds, no A/C or heat, I got 52 miles. On a cold day (about 32F) at freeway speeds I got 26 miles and folks in really cold temps see numbers below 20 miles of range. A rex is rated at 72 miles or so right? Subtract the same 25% for cold weather, and, well...

External temp has varied between -1C and +14C since I've had my i3. My max range has varied between 50 miles and 64 miles. So while I agree that outside temp makes a difference, the fact remains that the range of my car is massively below that advertised by BMW and experienced by other owners. My own testing has satisfied me that this is nothing to do with: me driving inefficiently or too quickly, external temp, use of aux power like heater, tyre pressures, terrain etc. My conclusion is that either my car is crap or BMW promotional material and statements by others that they hit 80+ miles of range without trying are crap. Hence my car is going back to BMW for testing. If they tell me car is fine then I will know its the latter in my prior sentence!

Our experience:

Before ordering our i3 last weekend, we had 3 test drives, 2 of which for 24h or more. Last Saturday evening, my BMW dealer let us have a car until Sunday afternoon. We took a new i3 REx (10 miles on the clock), fully charged and with almost no "driving memory" onto a simulated daily commute. Here are my observations:

• Displayed range of fully charged car, 10am in the morning, dry, 4 deg C: 86 miles left (on startup, only 1 person travelling, no preconditioning)
    After startup, but with consumers (de-mister, heating, seat heating, radio), not driven yet: 61 miles left
    After about 3 miles of driving at 55-60mph on country road (EcoPro and EcoPro+): 74 miles range left
    After 20 miles of driving at 55-70mph (a little Comfort, but mainly EcoPro and EcoPro+) on country road and motorway: 34 miles left
    After 35 miles of driving more carefully (EcoPro and EcoPro+), arrived back home showing 31 miles left.
    Taking it back to the dealership (10.6 miles) - 50-55 mph driving very carefully (EcoPro and EcoPro+): 21 miles left

REx was not used during these journeys. Adding up miles driven (45.6) and what was left as prediction (21), this gives an electric range of 66. However, I am sure I could eek this out and get at least 75 miles fully electric. With REx probably kicking in at 65-70 miles covered (set at 6.5%), this is in line with the experiences of people on here in general for this time of year.

One question: I've heard that the Connected Drive community shows an average of 83 miles electric? Is this true?

P

The community average is a statistic to be used, like most, with care. There seems to be some uncertainty whether it is country by country and I don't know whether it is all i3s or whether the community average is shown separately for BEV and REx. Mine currently shows 72 for me and 79 for the community, with a 'best ever' for the community of 124.

The reliability is questionable because my own best ever of 91 doesn't seem to have been recorded for me and I wasn't aware of Connected Drive being u/s at the time. Also, I think the average won't be average max for the community but is the average of each owner's best ever, which if I'm correct will be a flattering figure.

Back