Display management and information I'd like to see

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnort

I miss the following things from my previous car:
- distance THIS trip (i.e. from when the car turns on)
- time of THIS trip (i.e. from when the car turns on)
- the current time always prominently displayed.

I wish I could also see:
- rate of charge in KW (I have no idea if the whole system is working as advertised, except by guesses by the charge time estimates)
- total regen in KWh of this trip
- total KWh of THIS this trip
- remaining KWh in the battery

I know the clock is available on some screens, but it's not always available.

Regarding the 'trip'. There seems to be some option to 'automatically reset the trip meter', but that doesn't seem to reset the one on the display, so I'm not sure what it's actually doing.

I was fumbling over how to reset the trip display as well since buying my car about a month ago, and one of the other posts tipped me off on how to finally reset this. (btw the post had nothing to do with eth trip display - it was about accessing the secret service menu)

As it turns out there's an additional button on the door side of the heads up display cluster itself. Simply tapping this button once resets the trip meter. As to why BMW decided they needed an additional button here and couldn't accommodate this function through the plethora or menus or the other heads up display button on the steering column is a mystery to me.

As for the auto reset trip function, this does work, but only for the more full menu view. I would assume if those details are something you want to regularly see, the best option would be to program one of the macro button shortcuts.

The nav screen trip functions and the trip odometer on the display are two entirely different things! Note, if the car is not on when you press that switch, it will momentarily display the time and odometer readings...it only resets the trip odometer when you press it while in READY state.

On mine, the TOD is displayed all of the time on the upper right-hand corner of the nav screen.

Schnort said:
I miss the following things from my previous car:
- distance THIS trip (i.e. from when the car turns on)
- time of THIS trip (i.e. from when the car turns on)
Available in split screen > trip computer. I try to reset these at the end of the commuting day.

i3tripComputer10F.png

Schnort said:
- the current time always prominently displayed.
One of the data fields available in the onboard computer in the instrument display (fairly prominent). There's an analog clock widget in the split screen that's tough to miss, too.

Schnort said:
- total regen in KWh of this trip
- total KWh of THIS this trip
- remaining KWh in the battery
The i Remote.app grades your driving after each start/stop. Some of these are available there.

Schnort said:
Regarding the 'trip'. There seems to be some option to 'automatically reset the trip meter', but that doesn't seem to reset the one on the display, so I'm not sure what it's actually doing.
It's automatically resetting the trip computer after the car has been off two hours or so. As Jim says, the trip computer in the instrument display is independent of the one in the nav.

I'd like to see some the service menu data available in the onboard computer — all of them, actually, with check boxes for the important ones, such as state of charge (on the way this spring) or HV battery temperature (?), to me. It'd be easily configurable for the non-coding customer.

I don't think I actually have the option to 'split screen', since I have the base model.

Or at least I couldn't find an option in th emenus.

I'd actually like to be able to configure both sides of the instrument cluster and remove Trip from the display. In my ICEs, I sorta used it as an unofficial fuel gauge. Now, I don't really care for the info; I'd rather be able to put, for example, outside temperature and mi/kWH in the cluster.

easports82 said:
I'd rather be able to put, for example, outside temperature and mi/kWH in the cluster.
Those are display options already, if I'm understanding your request. ONce selected, you can cycle through them with the switch on the end of the directional signal.

jadnashuanh said:
Those are display options already, if I'm understanding your request. ONce selected, you can cycle through them with the switch on the end of the directional signal.

I know I can cycle through them, but it only cycles the left side of the cluster; the right (as far as I have seen) is static with the trip odometer. I'd like trip to be treated as an optional display and put one of the other measurements in its place. So, instead of temp and trip, I could see temp and mi/kW.

Back