Drive away without key

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uktechie

Just because you know you want to know, has anyone drove off leaving key with someone to see what happens :?:

uktechie said:
Just because you know you want to know, has anyone drove off leaving key with someone to see what happens :?:
Yep, you don't have to actually drive away. Just give someone the key and have them walk away. Everything continues just fine. Don't turn it off though or you'll be waiting for the key before you can go again!

Zzzoom3 said:
uktechie said:
Yep, you don't have to actually drive away. Just give someone the key and have them walk away. Everything continues just fine. Don't turn it off though or you'll be waiting for the key before you can go again!

So you could drive off and it won't stop at any distance away from key?

uktechie said:
Zzzoom3 said:
uktechie said:

So you could drive off and it won't stop at any distance away from key?
Nope it keeps going like the energizer bunny ..

Here in the USA, with the key in pocket the car (if turned on) turns off as soon as you open the door, even if you're in Park with the parking brake engaged. Annoying when having to move cars around in my (short and narrow) driveway! Have to hit Start/Stop again with foot on brake. The LEAF allows me to keep the car on and get out when I need to for, say, moving cars or unloading recyclables at the local deposit just like if you left an ICE car running for a minute while you stepped out for a very brief time.

So....a driver could be turning on the car while somebody else with the key is standing next to the driver's door, the driver could theoretically take off down the road, and then if that person stops and gets out of the car at the store or wherever the i3 will turn off immediately and he/she won't be able to get going again without the key.

Mike74jcw said:
Here in the USA, with the key in pocket the car (if turned on) turns off as soon as you open the door, even if you're in Park with the parking brake engaged. Annoying when having to move cars around in my (short and narrow) driveway! Have to hit Start/Stop again with foot on brake. The LEAF allows me to keep the car on and get out when I need to for, say, moving cars or unloading recyclables at the local deposit just like if you left an ICE car running for a minute while you stepped out for a very brief time.

Is this behavior consistent between US and Europe cars?

Back