Drivetrain issue - "Do not switch off engine"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noakey said:
Surge said:
Some of you have a lot more patience than I would… I guess I got spoiled by driving Lexus and other Japanese brands.

Waiting FIVE (5) WEEKS for a part?! So you're making your lease/loan payments and don't have the car you just acquired…
and the dealer is tearing it apart, to never put it back the way it was from the factory…

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer, but if you guys as the owners are "happy" about this, then it's not sending a message to BMW that this is unacceptable.

No new car should have drivetrain issues, especially not one from a "luxury" automaker that costs over $40,000.

But if you get bmw to pay all your lease bills until the car is back then it's not so bad... This is what I did.. they paid 2 months so far.. and for the diesel I put in the hire car...

Neil, that's amazing! How did you manage that?
I wish the dealers here in Toronto would be so accommodating… I highly doubt it.

But if you get bmw to pay all your lease bills until the car is back then it's not so bad... This is what I did.. they paid 2 months so far.. and for the diesel I put in the hire car...

Neil, that's amazing! How did you manage that?
I wish the dealers here in Toronto would be so accommodating… I highly doubt it.[/quote]

I pointed out that I was paying for a car I didn't have and for fuel I wouldn't be using... then they proposed making the payments... its great service. .. i feel well looked after but at the end if the day I would really like my own car back.

Surge said:
Some of you have a lot more patience than I would… I guess I got spoiled by driving Lexus and other Japanese brands.

Waiting FIVE (5) WEEKS for a part?! So you're making your lease/loan payments and don't have the car you just acquired…
and the dealer is tearing it apart, to never put it back the way it was from the factory…

Sorry, I don't mean to be a downer, but if you guys as the owners are "happy" about this, then it's not sending a message to BMW that this is unacceptable.

No new car should have drivetrain issues, especially not one from a "luxury" automaker that costs over $40,000.

Also have had drivetrain error. After just one week and 1000Km. Electric Engine and some more broke down.
Now after 10 weeks it still on the workshop...

Surge said:
Did the dealer or BMW give you another car to drive at no charge?

Hi.. it was bmw. They arranged for a car rental company to call me and all went from there... I had a nice 3 series auto with sports pack. ..

I'm assumed this one had been fixed in software by the time my car was delivered as there haven't been any recent posts so quite surprised when I had it this morning. Had arrived home for a brief stop with 55% SoC and E range marginal for next trip so put car on 7kW charge at max just for long enough to have a drink, with precon set. Checked app after 15 mins and it showed 90% with a current update time, clearly not possible.

Went to car a couple of mins later, unlocked, unplugged, got in and pressed start, got the same error message shown by the OP. BMW said try switching on and off, which cleared it altho they offered to collect the car, provide a courtesy car and have the car checked if I wanted. I'm just going to run it and only have it checked if it recurs.

Rats!

My car is less than 10 days old. 250 miles on it and I got the drive train issue - See service! Build date 10-08-2015. Appears to have the latest software.
Now I'm dreading the run in with the local dealer as I bought mine out of town. Dealer had limited choice!
Little disappointed a $50,000 car would do this.

So how does one turn ON/OFF the car to clear codes. I'm assuming it is more than the on/off button...

I've had the drive train issue quite a few times ("you can continue driving but see your dealer ASAP"). :(

The garage has had it back a couple of times to try and fix it, but it's not completely fixed: but it occurs only when using the REx, and nowadays seems to disappear again overnight after a long stop. I've stopped worrying and almost ignore it nowadays! :D

Thanx.
Yes it was after a 50 mile REX trip. Not sure how comfortable I am ignoring the error message till it goes away! Is this what everyone else is doing?

I've had it twice, both times after working Rex hard. Then, when restarting after some time stationary, the error appears. My guess is that it's a cooling (or lack of) down problem.

I'm expecting a software update and will report it then.

Back