E brake

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaver72

Hi all.
I have a 71 plate i3s.
For some reason when driving today,my e brake fails to release when pressing accelerator and I have to release by hand…not a big deal but when you have been driving like this for nearly 3 years it is annoying.
Is there a switch or option that I’m not seeing or a reset I can do…Tia.

I don't know about plates other than in my china cabinet, but mine only auto-releases the brake if my seat belt is buckled. So I guess the first thing I might check is the sensor that verifies you're buckled-in. Maybe debris in the buckle housing or something easy like that. It's always nice if it's the easy stuff . . .

Thanks Rob.
I will check for any debris in the seat belt buckle...however,the seat belt warning does turn off when I clip the belt in...definitely will check though.
Regards

I don't know about plates other than in my china cabinet, but mine only auto-releases the brake if my seat belt is buckled. So I guess the first thing I might check is the sensor that verifies you're buckled-in. Maybe debris in the buckle housing or something easy like that. It's always nice if it's the easy stuff . . .
The reference to 'plates' is uniquely British, over here the identifying number on new car licence plates changes every 6 months, so saying a car is a 71 plate immediately tells us that it's a 2021 car from September 2021 onwards.

The reference to 'plates' is uniquely British, over here the identifying number on new car licence plates changes every 6 months, so saying a car is a 71 plate immediately tells us that it's a 2021 car from September 2021 onwards.
Although our plates in my state are unrelated to the car's manufacture, they do have a charming(?) quirk of expiring in a month corresponding to owner's last name -- so the Zychowskis get a few months more depreciation factored in before the year's fees are paid than the Adams and the Browns, and thus a slightly lower property tax assessment . . . (Still easier to figure out than Japanese patent dates which require knowledge of the ruling family's birthdays.)
I will check for any debris in the seat belt buckle...however,the seat belt warning does turn off when I clip the belt in...definitely will check though.
Well, my hypothesis isn't quite as good in that case . . . but still maybe something somewhere in the interlock that's (hopefully) not buried too deep . . .

I recently switched out both left and right parking brake (motors). I had an issue with parking brake release (manually engaged at a red light with car in "D", I was too lazy to hold the brake pedal down). The parking brake would fail to release when the accelerator pedal was depressed (seat belt clicked in). I drove about 2 miles to the mechanic's shop with the rear right brake pad rubbing on the disk. It did not smell good.... I would imagine on a wet road this would be a bit problematic causing the car to yaw a bit to the right....

About one month later, the left one did the same thing. So problem solved!

Maybe have the mechanic check the little parking brake motors next time in the shop. (They are apparently mounted just next to the rear brakes.)
Thanks Rob.
Regards
For sure, the driver's seatbelt sensor could also be the cause. :)

Also see:
https://www.mybmwi3.com/threads/bmw-i3-auto-release-parking-brake-issue.18328/

Last edited:
I recently switched out both left and right parking brake (motors). I had an issue with parking brake release (manually engaged at a red light with car in "D", I was too lazy to hold the brake pedal down). The parking brake would fail to release when the accelerator pedal was depressed (seat belt clicked in). I drove about 2 miles to the mechanic's shop with the rear right brake pad rubbing on the disk. It did not smell good.... I would imagine on a wet road this would be a bit problematic causing the car to yaw a bit to the right....

About one month later, the left one did the same thing. So problem solved!

Maybe have the mechanic check the little parking brake motors next time in the shop. (They are apparently mounted just next to the rear brakes.)

For sure, the driver's seatbelt sensor could also be the cause. :)

Also see:
https://www.mybmwi3.com/threads/bmw-i3-auto-release-parking-brake-issue.18328/
My i3s is now going from having to manually release e brake to it releasing on its own as normal.
As suggested i have cleaned out all 4 of the seat belt clips...male and female parts.
I have also booked in at BMW dealer as still under warranty.
Agree that it is the seat belt sensor...my 10 year old obd2 scanner not working on EV so might need to by a more modern one.
regards to all
Simon

Hi all...
I have had confirmation from BMW dealer that it was indeed the seatbelt sensor.
Waiting for new part to arrive...keep you posted that it cures the problem.
Courtesy car is a 73 Mini Cooper automatic...Solid car but not for me.

Back