Electric problem

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes when we start the car the dash works like it should Then the Next time when we start it the dash might or might not work The dash works only about 60% of the time. Any ideas except a short in the wiring harness?

If everything else seems to be working as it should then it sounds like a wiring problem. I've not heard of this specific kind of issue before so this is not a symptom of a common problem that would say "this part is bad, replace it".
Depending on where you are, and where you park, you could have rodents chewing on the wiring in the car which can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.

saw this in a previous post

This problem has been reported fairly often, unfortunately. A few i3 owners have replaced the LED's on the climate control circuit board (soldering required) which fixed the problem. BMW's fix is to replace the circuit board which is fairly expensive if not under warranty. So defective LED's seems to be the problem, not the functioning of the circuit board.

There is a Wisely repair of the circuit board done in one of the repair videos. But I can't seem to find it now. Seems pretty straight forward.

There is a Wisely repair of the circuit board done in one of the repair videos. But I can't seem to find it now. Seems pretty straight forward.
I remember that. They have a guy who does it but it’s only economic in batches. So they wait until they have 20 and then send them off for resoldering.

It’s about 10:17 into this video under the ‘Internal’ section. Doesn’t show repair just explains that the LEDs need replacing as they are not reliable and fail.

Back