ePOWER bars

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriMW

Had a new/weird thing happen the other day on the instrument display panel, the blue bars on the right that show how much "ePOWER" the car is using suddenly disappeared. I'm trying to find out why this happens, as I've noticed some inconstancies as to when its happening.
In 30 degree(F) weather with heat set at 74 degrees(F) and ECO PRO enabled I preconditioned car before leaving work with 30+ miles of charge left. On the drive home (10 miles) the ePOWER blue lights were at the halfway point the entire trip.
Same 30 degree(F) weather with heat at 74 degrees(F) and heat seats on with ECO PRO, I took a 1 mile trip to church with 15 miles of charge remaining and had full ePOWER bars.

The car let me accelerate past where the blue bars ended, but the little white bar didn't go past them.

Has anyone else experienced this or have an answer as to why it does this?

I had a slightly similar experience just yesterday. Two of the blue ePower segments disappeared giving me slightly reduced power. When I floored the accelerator I didn’t get the heavy foot nag warning. The outside temperature was 24 degrees F with the state of charge about 50%. The car was not preconditioned so the battery would have been rather chilly when I started out. But this was about 4 miles down the road when I noticed the reduced performance and a couple missing blue segments. There was no problem when I drove home later at 32 degree F. Full performance was available at less than 50% SOC.

I wonder whether letting a somewhat depleted battery get below freezing leads to performance reduction or whether I had some temporary glitch. I’ll be keeping an eye on those blue segments when the battery is really cold.

Back