Frunk You!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ATXMARC said:
Love the car, but cmon bmw...waterproof the frunk...i mean it's a friggin bmw!!!!
Do i really have to say more.

Hmmm I know I'm at odds with most owners but I must say I don't get a lot of moisture accumulate in my froot. Mine is definitely not totally waterproof but it's doest get really wet in there either.

Bill

Mine has collected dead leaves and dried water/salty deposit marks. It appears to enter from the base of the windshield, not the front leading lip of the car.

I also have noticed that slush gathers (from windshield wipers) in the lower corners of the windshield and inside of that aerodynamic ridge that runs up the A-pillar. It generally freezes into a fist-sized clump and must be chipped out with your scraper.

I mention this because I'd be willing to bet that if left to its own natural melting, that crud would flow right down into the frunk.

Ruffles said:
I must have a freak i3 but after many storms and multiple car washes, my frunk has never gotten wet.

"not a douche" great signature line. Here's how I handle that issue publicly on mine (I call it my 'Sustainable Irony' bumper sticker)

17967385-lg.jpg

Bunter said:
ATXMARC said:
Love the car, but cmon bmw...waterproof the frunk...i mean it's a friggin bmw!!!!
Do i really have to say more.

Hmmm I know I'm at odds with most owners but I must say I don't get a lot of moisture accumulate in my froot. Mine is definitely not totally waterproof but it's doest get really wet in there either.

Bill

Believe me it will get wet, what were they thinkin

FWIW, they sell the waterproof storage bag for a reason. I go into there so seldom, I guess I can't say if mine gets wet or not in the weather we've had so far. I do not store anything personal there, only the OEM stuff that came with it.

New to the i3, has anyone tried fabricating a water-proof lid for the frunk?

I noticed the staggered top which would make fabricating a waterproof top a challenge, not impossible but just a challenge.

Bob Wilson

bwilson4web said:
New to the i3, has anyone tried fabricating a water-proof lid for the frunk?

I noticed the staggered top which would make fabricating a waterproof top a challenge, not impossible but just a challenge.

Bob Wilson
BMW sells a waterproof bag, fitted to the compartment size. Probably your best bet for simple. A "DrySack" from a sporting goods store would also work.

I plan to look for some weather stripping that I could glue to the underside of the frunk lid so that it would seal the opening between the lid and body when the lid is closed. This weather stripping would need to be compressible enough so that it would not prevent the lid from latching easily, but it would need to resist becoming permanently compressed so that it could continue sealing. I think that I could make the frunk essentially waterproof from rain, carwash water streams, etc., directed toward the front of the car, and maybe even improve the aerodynamics a tiny bit. Along the rear of the lid edges and across the back of the lid wouldn't be waterproof, but that's not a problem for me and might even be better because it could allow anything wet in the frunk to dry.

I've thought about doing this since buying our i3 in November, 2014, but water, leaves, dirt, etc., leaking into the frunk hasn't been a problem at all, so I haven't been motivated to act. When we return to Honolulu in October, maybe I'll look for some suitable weather stripping unless someone else has found an appropriate seal and has shared this solution.

We keep a couple of old towels in ours along with a tire jack, lug wrench, gas can, L1 charger, inflation pump, can of tire sealant, etc. Towels are still dry after driving through several downpours. Don't use car washes as I hand wash the car. Haven't tried this in the winter. Only had the car 3 months/8000 km. May regret this but so far so good.

I just put what I want to keep dry in a 5 gallon ziploc bag.

It fits the OUC (which is really the only thing I care about staying dry in the frunk) and it was cheap.

Back