Hand Control?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waitingi3

Looking for a hand control for the gas pedal. (GAS?? You know, the go faster pedal on the right)

Long story, but I am recovering from some leg problems and have not yet driven the i3 I purchased last June. Wife has put three thousand miles on it. :roll:

Interesting question. Given that as I understand it the throttle is purely electric, then technically substituting a hand throttle should be simple! I wonder if it is possible to buy a replacement throttle assembly. This could then be connected in parallel with the current throttle and mounted within hands reach……...

Electrically, putting two resistors in parallel is not what you want! But, it wouldn't be hard to switch between them so each would act separately. You'd want to do that switch with the car off to keep from frying anything, though.

jadnashuanh said:
Electrically, putting two resistors in parallel is not what you want! But, it wouldn't be hard to switch between them so each would act separately. You'd want to do that switch with the car off to keep from frying anything, though.

You are of course correct - my fault for not thinking ‘technically' when typing a quick reply! :oops:

I thought about doing it electrically but considered the risks too great. You would have to be very sure that no failure mode could cause unintended accereration or loss of power. Adding to existing circuitry would certainly void some warranty coverages too.

I think I now have a promising mechanical design, so my new question is:

Is anyone in need of a hand control for the power pedal?

Back