Help for uk i3 tourist coming to Netherlands

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philternent

Hi, I will be coming over to Netherlands for a week in August in my i3 rex visiting Den Hague and possibly Belgium. I wonder how I will access charge points? Is there one card I could get on a week or month basis or can you pay as you use with a credit card? I am from Newcaetle so using ferry to Imjuihden. If any one coming other way I can try and help!

hi,

http://www.oplaadpalen.nl

This map shows charging points for BE and NL.

Notice that there are many owners (eigenaars) and payment methods (betaalmethode).
For many payment methods you will need a card (or even a yearly subscription) but some charging points are free (gratis), however none in belgium it seems (nothing free in BE, but we do have the highest taxes for EU...).
You can select your vehicle type (mijn voertuig) in the pop-up list on the right also.
In many cases you can also see if the charging point is occupied ot not (realtime).

I'm not a i3 owner yet and don't have any experience with these charging points myself. But maybe a warning, belgian charging infrastructure is lagging far behind compared to the Netherlands.

I would expect that you can find those charging points on your i3 navi also.

Good luck and have a nice trip !

PS: stay out of Brugge, you might get arrested ! :D

Philternent said:
Hi, I will be coming over to Netherlands for a week in August in my i3 rex visiting Den Hague and possibly Belgium. I wonder how I will access charge points? Is there one card I could get on a week or month basis or can you pay as you use with a credit card? I am from Newcaetle so using ferry to Imjuihden. If any one coming other way I can try and help!

Hi Phil, I've no experience with them myself, but 'The New Motion' has a charge-card that is free in the sense that you don't have to pay for your subscription. You pay a surcharge (60 cts I believe) for every charging session as fee. You can use this card in Belgium as well at chargers from Blue Corner. The card has to be coupled to a bank account though and I'm not sure if you can get it coupled with your UK account. No harm in trying. You could ask them: http://www.thenewmotion.com/over-ons/contact/

So far, in my 16500km, I haven't charged at a single public point that didn't need a card (although I'm sure there are some free points or points where you can borrow a card at motels etc., but I have no knowledge of that), apart from the DC chargers at FastNed. That free party will be over soon, however, when they have finished building their payment infrastructure. Since FastNed uses an app to pay though, you can use it as foreigner, they explicitly state so. Simply register your creditcard with the app.
Problem with FastNed: they are rolling out their charging stations as we speak and they have built most of the stations outside your targeted destination area...

Regards, Steven

Looked at both websites and downloaded apps. Both look useful, will contact new motion re obtaining a card. I've some family contacts that have relatives in Utrecht if I need a dutch bank account for this. BMW also have supplied a number to contact.
Or I will use my old 1973 BMW 2002 targa!

You can fast charge your i3 at the BMW dealer of The Hague within opening hours. Address:
Donau 38-40, Den Haag
Ph.: 070 301 7170

I am facing similar issues as I plan a summer trip from Denmark to the Netherlands & Belgium this summer. I have ordered a TheNewMotion charge card, but now I am curious to learn if you manage to register a Credit Card / PayPal / Bank account with TheNewMotion?

Any other tourist tips are very welcome :)

Hi there

UK provider Charge Your Car has recently made this announcement. I actually emailed CYC and asked whether the access to The New Motion is already active and I've had the following reply from them:

Hi,

Not had any experience personally but we do know the network to be working and drivers have been using it without any problems so it should all be fine. Several drivers had reported successfully using their cards in Northern Europe.

Kindest regards,
S Hulley

I have just ordered my CYC card (£20 pa) and will use it in the UK first, where a lot of their chargers are free. According to the New Motion charger map, most EVSEs in Belgium and Netherlands are around €0.39/KWh

Hope this helps! Let us know how you're getting on, as I am also interested in any info about trips to Belgium/Netherlands/Germany.

P

For your info, the TheNewMotion card requires a Dutch, Belgian or German bank account to set-up payments. Currently no credit cards or PayPal accounts :-(

Lykke said:
For your info, the TheNewMotion card requires a Dutch, Belgian or German bank account to set-up payments. Currently no credit cards or PayPal accounts :-(

That's why probably only the ChargeYourCar (CYC) card will work for a UK resident, because the CYC card requires you to link a credit card to your account. I am assuming that your linked card will be debited once you start using EVSEs in Belgium/Netherlands/Germany.

Hope this helps,
P

Back