Hold charge function

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Idleup said:
Tim said:
I'm enjoying my new i3 but am baffled when using the hold charge function it seems to still use the battery slightly. Is this correct or should I plan a trip to the dealer?

Regards Tim

If your I3 is stock - when the battery gets down to 6% the generator fires up and it will not charge the battery over 6.5% - its only a "get to your destination" mode in which the generator powers the car for speeds up to 60-70 mph depending on aux usage and terrain.

There is a "fix" available which allows you to start the engine at any battery level below 75% thus allowing you to travel and maintain a higher level of reserve battery.

Your computer display allows you to check the SOC state of charge in the menus.

If you make this fix, and you're leasing do you void any warrenties or face penalties when you return it?

i3regret said:
Idleup said:
Tim said:
I'm enjoying my new i3 but am baffled when using the hold charge function it seems to still use the battery slightly. Is this correct or should I plan a trip to the dealer?

Regards Tim

If your I3 is stock - when the battery gets down to 6% the generator fires up and it will not charge the battery over 6.5% - its only a "get to your destination" mode in which the generator powers the car for speeds up to 60-70 mph depending on aux usage and terrain.

There is a "fix" available which allows you to start the engine at any battery level below 75% thus allowing you to travel and maintain a higher level of reserve battery.

Your computer display allows you to check the SOC state of charge in the menus.

If you make this fix, and you're leasing do you void any warrenties or face penalties when you return it?
Not if you return the car to its original software configuration before you drop it off at the end of the lease.

Back