Home charging options

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWH

Hi

I have just ordered a rex as a company car and I am after some assistance with regards to home chargers. In Scotland we can get full funding to get one of these installed either a BMW wallbox or a Rolec wallpod supplied through SSE. There also appears to be a British gas / Chargemaster options available. I want it installed on an outside wall and not in my garage. What is the best option - bmw one looks massive compare to the others.

The BMW one is very large, but that said I don’t know how big the other ones are! I understand that the BG one is only 3kw. You can also get a free one from http://www.polarnetwork.com an d they do an upgrade to 7kw for £95.

I agree, the Wallbox is huge. I've looked on the Schneider website and they have their own which look more compact.I have applied for a survey and will ask for the options. I'm not certain the BMW Wallbox can be fitted outside anyway!

Here's a link to a video showing several wall boxes, to compare sizes.
http://insideevs.com/video-overview-of-todays-most-popular-level-2-residential-charging-stations/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Np2CPoWJzhk

I have the 7kW chargemaster one and I am happy with that. It is much more compact than the BMW one.

XvufxjRU.jpg

Did they (British Gas?) install it without any problems? Or did they charge for some ‘extras’? Any info on their process would be useful - did they survey and install all on one day?

I bought a Keba P20 from charging-solutions.co.uk rather than the Polar / Chargemaster unit when I got my Zoe.

There were two reasons for doing this:
1) I wanted a socketed unit rather than a tethered one (the tethered cable wasn't long enough to get to the nose of a Zoe)
2) The Keba unit is available with an optional RFID sensor instead of a key for operating the unit (costs extra but is very convenient)

The unit has - so far - worked perfectly, and although there was a delay in getting the unit installed, the charging-solutions.co.uk team were very helpful.

Had our wall BMW i wall box installed today. Nice job done for 315 pounds. Told this was the first installation in Scotland.

Just need the i3 now. Ordered November, due for delivery in March for my wife's birthday. Specification: Rex, Andesit silver, Lodge, park asst., driving asst., winter pkg., sun roof, prof. nav., & DC rapid charge.

Steamrunner said:
I bought a Keba P20 from charging-solutions.co.uk rather than the Polar / Chargemaster unit when I got my Zoe.

There were two reasons for doing this:
1) I wanted a socketed unit rather than a tethered one (the tethered cable wasn't long enough to get to the nose of a Zoe)

Just a quick point - Chargemaster do offer a socketed version, as well as the tethered one. I know, because I ordered one today!

Back