How do you charge your i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jadnashuanh said:
IF that is true, you would have 240vac available at the receptacle and if they'd allow, you could replace it with a 240vac, 20A plug, and double your power available.
… or buy one of these.

Every time I see this thread I think "by plugging it in, how else are you supposed to do it" :twisted:

JoeKirdahy said:
Thinking about purchasing an i3. We have an older home with a 100 W service so not sure if it can handle a Level 2 station. Is level 1 ok for most owners?

totally happy with level one and will not be installing a level two charger.

AviatorMan said:
JoeKirdahy said:
Thinking about purchasing an i3. We have an older home with a 100 W service so not sure if it can handle a Level 2 station. Is level 1 ok for most owners?

totally happy with level one and will not be installing a level two charger.

+1 (so far)

An interesting sidebar...when the electrician was installing mine, he mentioned that new construction in CT requires the installation of an EVSE. I did not check to verify that, but it's interesting, if true.

You are going to find over the next 5 to 10-years that most cars will be coming with some sort of hybrid, plug-in electric in order to meet the CAFE rules. With that in mind, especially if you might have more than one car, you might want to serially get them each recharged, and faster is better.

jadnashuanh said:
An interesting sidebar...when the electrician was installing mine, he mentioned that new construction in CT requires the installation of an EVSE.
That would be a bit excessive, IMHO. Different EV's have charge ports in different locations and chargers with different maximum power ratings, so a particular EVSE installed in a particular location would not be ideal for everyone. Just requiring an available EVSE circuit of appropriate amperage somewhere in one's parking area would be a big help. For those living in apartments, having conduit run from each apartment's electric meter to each parking space and sufficient capacity in each apartment's electricity panel would be wonderful.

Latest posts

Back