i3 as a backup during blackouts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i7fan

Vaguely remember reading about using the HV battery in the car as a backup power supply during blackouts. I suppose this means a special function on the EVSE where power is going in reverse compared to when it is charging the car. Is there such a beast?

In theory, it's possible. Now, whether it would be honored by BMW as a warranty issue, is an other thing altogether! It would need to be engineered well to maintain the battery integrity and discharge limits. Failing that, it would likely damage the battery, and being an unintended use of the battery, probably void the battery warranty.

To be useful, it would take a pretty hefty (and expensive, especially if you wanted a sinewave) inverter of any decent size.

Note, BMW has recently promoted a use for 'old' LiOn battery packs for power buffers for the grid, and will be promoting them as a way to recycle the battery packs as they reach their service limit on a vehicle...they'll still have a lot of capacity for use as backup for things like solar or wind-powered generation, and make sense verses dismantling them and recycling their guts right away. They'd probably have a large number of years of life left when used in that capacity.

This is similar to Teslas plan to sell new batteries to homeowners for power storage in conjunction with solar systems. The recent moves by power companies to impose monthly fees on home solar for grid and infrastructure maintenance will encourage homeowners to install such storage devices and to cut the cord. If one is able to store enough electricity for several days and nights and have a hybrid car to use as a generator, who needs to be connected to the grid?

WoodlandHills said:
This is similar to Teslas plan to sell new batteries to homeowners for power storage in conjunction with solar systems.
It's 'old' batteries, isn't it? That's their plan for batteries that has lost capacity from cycling, I thought.

I think the used battery packs were going to be sold to power companies for mass storage and load buffering while the new ones are meant for home use. He is looking for places besides his car company to sell the output from the super factory in Nevada.

Thanks Tomasz for the link. It is exactly what I had in mind. If BMW offers something similar it would be great. Failing that, what are the options for i3 owners?

Back