i3 questions from a Volt owner

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnhargreaves

Hi there, long time Volt owner here who's wife recently purchased an i3. We are very happy with it so far, but we have a handful of questions about things we like on the Volt but can't find a way to do on the i3. Hoping you wise folks can either point out what we missed or tell us to stop wasting time looking for things that don't exist :)

- Does iDrive have any kind of "now playing" screen that shows details of the audio source, currently playing track, etc, regardless of what these are? I'm aware I can navigate into the various different areas (radio, multimedia sources, etc.) to see details of each one separately, but that tends to change what is playing as well as just displaying info about it.

- Is there any way to precondition the i3 other than by preprogramming a time or using the mobile app? On the Volt I can just push a button on the key fob while I drink my morning coffee, and it'll be warmed up by the time I'm ready to head out.

- Is the i3 remote control functionality available via a website for those of us who don't have iPhone or Android? I'm finding conflicting info about this online. Looking at https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com/cdp/release/internet/servlet/welcome, it seems like that would provide some web based options, but the sign up UI only supports some countries not including the USA. I can't find anything even remotely similar to it on http://www.bmwusa.com/ - very strange!

Thanks!

You can right click the controller when you are in the audio screen and set up split screen with the audio over there on the smaller window. I think you can also do this from the main menu, but I am not sure....

WoodlandHills said:
You can right click the controller when you are in the audio screen and set up split screen with the audio over there on the smaller window.

I read about split screen in the manual, but couldn't figure out how to turn it on. Will try again...

Hmm, we only got the basic navigation option, which has the smaller screen. Wondering if split screen is only available with the professional navigation + larger display? (which would make sense)

I think the split screen is only available on "professional" nav large screen.

The content option on the split screen that you want is "Entertainment Details", but if you can't get a split screen, it might be moot.

You can precondition from the app, or within the car, but not via the remote. Either can offer a 'do it now' or 'do it at a particular time'. I wish it was also available via a WIN based device from a website, but that has not been implemented (yet?). I finally broke down and bought a new phone that could do it. I have a tablet that I used while at home, but obviously, didn't carry that around with me all of the time. Keep in mind that all of those commands go through the cellular network, and if you're unlucky enough to be in a dead spot, you're out of luck, at least on the car...WiFi works fine from the app, if that's available.

The other big thing you need to be aware of is that the REx is only 34Hp, and, if you are really stressing things (high speed, climbing a long grade), and the battery was allowed to get low, the car will start to shut things down and slow your progress. It can be disconcerting, you need to watch the displays and you'll be forewarned. Often, just slowing down a little bit is enough, but not always. Big controversy about when and how you can turn the REx on in the USA verses elsewhere in the world. Not going to repeat that here...lots of threads discussing that already.

I looked at a Volt, but found the ingress/egress a pain for me - both in the seat height and the headroom...it was just uncomfortable to contort my tall body to get in and out. Hazards of age and health.

shawnhargreaves said:
- Does iDrive have any kind of "now playing" screen that shows details of the audio source, currently playing track, etc, regardless of what these are? I'm aware I can navigate into the various different areas (radio, multimedia sources, etc.) to see details of each one separately, but that tends to change what is playing as well as just displaying info about it.
Split screen would provide what you're looking for, but as mentioned above won't work with the basic nav.

One option is to roll the right thumbwheel on your steering wheel up or down without clicking it. That should display what's currently playing on the instrument cluster. Clicking the wheel will select the next track/station/etc. FYI, when listening to the radio (including Sirius) the list that you scroll through via this wheel is variable based on where you "left" the iDrive radio function. For example:

Pressing the radio button in iDrive and selecting "FM", then scrolling with the wheel will scroll through all FM stations.
Pressing the radio button, selecting "Presets", then scrolling with the wheel will scroll through all of your presets (whether FM or Sirius).

The wheel I'm referring to is the right "scroll" wheel on the steering wheel, and the above applies even after you've switched to a different iDrive function. Hope that's not too confusing.

shawnhargreaves said:
- Is there any way to precondition the i3 other than by preprogramming a time or using the mobile app? On the Volt I can just push a button on the key fob while I drink my morning coffee, and it'll be warmed up by the time I'm ready to head out.
You can code this.

shawnhargreaves said:
- Is the i3 remote control functionality available via a website for those of us who don't have iPhone or Android? I'm finding conflicting info about this online. Looking at https://www.bmw-connecteddrive.com/cdp/release/internet/servlet/welcome, it seems like that would provide some web based options, but the sign up UI only supports some countries not including the USA. I can't find anything even remotely similar to it on http://www.bmwusa.com/ - very strange!
We're hoping that they'll provide this in the US as well soon.

Latest posts

Back