I3 unsafe in winter weather?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TLDR, did someone say they are using ACC in winter conditions? Really? :shock:

I had no problem with traction mode activated, even on summer 20's. Perhaps you just need more experience with the car?

Performance in the winter on cold and/or slippery surfaces is a combination of stability control, tire grip, and operator skill. There is no question, and lots of testing to prove it, that a winter tire is safer when the conditions deteriorate. If you need that extra couple of feet of stopping distance or g-force to turn to stay out of a ditch or miss some other object, you'll appreciate the difference. Now, how often that occurs, depends on you, the conditions, and your skill level. Most places require you to own insurance for those 'what-if' situations. Look at winter tires as insurance. You hope you never need them, but when you do, it can make all of the difference. IOW, until you get into an emergency or stressful situation, you may never 'need' winter tires, but you are MUCH more likely to run into problems in the cold if you have summer tires or all-seasons verses the 'proper' tire for the situation. In some places, you can be fined if you do not have the 'proper' tire on the car, especially if you have an accident. They do that for a reason...it's proven to help preserve life and property.

No disrespect but my wife and I live in PA and we got hit with some pretty nasty snow this year. Our I3 Rex was awesome! No issues at all in the snow. We did equip her with snow tires and maybe the REXs make the difference with the extra 300 lbs in the back?

I have no idea why you had such a hard time driving in the snow. It was effortless.

John

if you have the summer performance tires, i3 is practically undrivable with fresh snow or ice... but once the roads have been clear then you're good to go... I opted to not go get a winter tire set since i have an x5 as well but i did try it once to see how it is... i'm sure with snow tires it'll be fine though.

With winter mostly behind us, I can say the i3 performed remarkably well with the factory all season tires. Although it was a mild winter compared the last couple, we did have several significant snowfalls and icy days and I always felt in control. I may not drive with the same confidence as in an AWD SUV, but that can lead to a false sense of security anyway.

Back