i3 Winter tires - 2017 vs 2020 ReX

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golferguy27

Hi all - long time lurker and on my second i3 now :) Yay.

But now facing the question again the causes me to ask why .....

Had a 2017 i3 ReX with 155-70-19 on all four wheels - so of course had to buy Winters for the Toronto winter wether since the stock tires were abysmal in snowy conditions. So got the Blizzaks and four rims for half the cost of university tuition for one year :)

Fast forward - traded in lease this summer for a new 2020 i3 ReX and they changed the wheel config to fronts remaining at 155-70-R19 but rears are now 175-60-R19.

So, can I replace the winter tires on my original wheels (155-70-R19) and put them on all four positions on the 2020 I3 - meaning the rears would change from 175-60-R19 to 155-70-R19? Is there any technical issue with this plan? It would save me about $3K CAD plus taxes so its an important question for me.

Thanks

Those winter tires will work just fine in place of the staggered set. I used them for years on mine without issues.

If the tires are getting old and you're ready to replace them (industry suggests a maximum of 6-years, regardless of tread depth), I'd get a set of the Nokian R3's instead...I think that's a better winter tire. Keep in mind that the batteries in the TPMS, if you have those in your vehicle, not always there on Canadian vehicles, their batteries may be getting weak. There's a test tool that an check that...do that if you replace the tires.

Back