I3 with Rex compared to...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperM

I'm still in doubt on my next car. I did some comparisons (bot cost and CO2) between the i3 + EX,Audi e-tron and a BMW 320d.

Afterwards I was curious on how some other cars would compare.
Audi claims that a range extender is a flawed concept but my analysis shows a different result...
Anyway, here are my results,perhaps they are of some value for someone else...

First graph represents the Cost/km in between two recharging operations
p217961042.png

The second graph the gr CO2/km in between those recharging operations
p468235867.png

I know these graphs are useless without the assumptions made, but a forum is not suited for a long text message, so I wrote my assumptions down on a seperate page http://afewarguments.wordpress.com/2015/01/31/comparison-of-some-hybrid-cars/.

I also know that some assumptions (eg unit fuel prices) differ for you. I've prepared a Google Spreadsheet that would allow you to adjust the model to your assumptions, and that allows you to select units (mpg, l/100 km...) and unit prices . But I still need to do some testing before I publish it.

SuperM an interesting piece of analysis there, not entirely sure why in the Co2 vs range graph there is such disparity between vehicles on the electric only range portion of the graph as I would presume the comparison was based upon the Co2 per Km from one electricity supplier. ( unless of course these were separated for presentation purposes.) Edited to say DOH, of course they differ as the electrical consumption per Km differs by vehicle) !!

Subjectively having driven eTron and i3 back to back I would make my own observation that, the i3 in the real world of urban/inter urban commuting would win hands down, not only does it have more than adequate (for the majority of Commuters) electric only range. But i3 also allows you - lets say a bit more freedom to drive enthusiastically on electrons. If you drive enthusiastically in an eTron in EV mode which it is more than capable of; your electric only range will drop quickly just like it does in an i3, factor in a bit of cold battery and ancillaries and that range may well be insufficient vs your expectations. eTron is still a good choice if you need to travel long distances regularly at least until we have an acceptably reliable charging infrastructure.

The other choices come down to a matter of personal taste and whether you consider a car makes any sort of statement about your transport. Personally I like the i3's credentials as a green choice as an eTron looks pretty much like every other A3 Sportback - which might appeal to some if they are averse to the attention an i3 seems to generate. Interior fit and finish are both equally good as are the dealer networks though both brands limit the UK dealerships for EVs at present so check your nearest dealer backup is not inconvenient. Options on the Etron are much more comprehensive than you get from BMW, but like every car maker the deeper you go into the options list the more you will lose to the ravages of depreciation. Now if you were to produce a comparison based upon cost per mile vs depreciation ( the real cost of running a new vehicle), then I would be VERY interested). Good luck with your choices

The question is - why would you drive your electric car 400 km without recharging?

And your cost per unit does not account for purchase cost. Let's say 200000km life span. I bet you Tesla will no longer look like interesting proposition.

Tomasz said:
The question is - why would you drive your electric car 400 km without recharging?

The question is: "How many people will recharge their plug-in hybrid (like a Audi e-tron) on that occasional long trip.

I have 2-3 long trips a month: one around 250 km on a day, one of 500 km a day and every other month a trip of 2 x 750 km. For the 500 km roundtrip, I wake up at 5:00AM to get on time at my destination, and I'm back at home around 09h00 PM. If I take a BMW i3, I will not be charging 2 or 3 times, just fill up. The 2 x 750 km trip will be driven with Add-On Mob, but if I would need do this one with the i3, I would not charge underway. The trip would take too long (I'm driving with two staff members).

Concerning an i3, the CO2 graphs show that even while using the REX, it is quite OK on CO2. And 65% of my travel distance concern roundtrips of 100 km between charging (and those will be 100% electric in an i3). The reason I made those graphs is that there is a possibility that my next job would be at the headquarters. I would be making 4 trips a week in the 200 - 400 km range...

And your cost per unit does not account for purchase cost. Let's say 200000km life span. I bet you Tesla will no longer look like interesting proposition.

I'm not purchasing a hybrid car for cost reduction. I first made the CO2 analysis, only afterwards looked at the cost part.
I'm trying to reduce my footprint. If I could get a Tesla 85 in company lease budget, I would not doubt a second.

But comparing cost of a Tesla with an i3 is comparing apples with oranges. Tesla plays in another league.

Integrating depreciation costs is rather hard, because you have tomake assumptions on the resale value over eg 4 years...

SuperM said:
But comparing cost of a Tesla with an i3 is comparing apples with oranges. Tesla plays in another league.

Don't get me wrong, I love my i3, but if Tesla's 3 model becomes a reality - and it has a similar range to the existing Tesla models - then I'll be all over it. Currently the i3 is a great second car but given the profile of my family's driving, we still need something with a longer range.

logorrhoea said:
SuperM said:

Don't get me wrong, I love my i3, but if Tesla's 3 model becomes a reality - and it has a similar range to the existing Tesla models - then I'll be all over it. Currently the i3 is a great second car but given the profile of my family's driving, we still need something with a longer range.

I wholeheartedly agree. If Tesla delivers the goods (a 35-45 k car with at least 300 km - 200 mi range), they should be capable of really changing the market.

I'm still thinking on purchasing the i3, it will be our main car and I do 40 000 km a year... The AddOn Mobility should allow some flexibility, but the dealer is 30 km from here...
The A3 e-tron (or the soon to be marketed VW Passat GTE) should be an all-in one solution, but the electric range really 10-20km short for my needs...

Back