Installing my Clipper Creek Charger

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. I just got the same unit myself. (Of course I didn't install it myself because I am incapable of such things.)

A week ago with the help of a friend who is an electrical contractor I installed the same ClipperCreek unit (actually he did the work as I cheered him on). Solid company, good product. The savings were substantial over what the BMW/Bosch program offered and I suspect we got a better product with ClipperCreek. Tomorrow my car crosses the Panama Canal so it is not long before I will have a vehicle to go with the ClipperCreek. Can't wait.

Did you guys go with the hardwired version or the plug-into-a-220V-outlet version? I plan to purchase one (either Clipper Creek or maybe Bosch) within the next few weeks. Thanks!

Mike74jcw said:
Did you guys go with the hardwired version or the plug-into-a-220V-outlet version? I plan to purchase one (either Clipper Creek or maybe Bosch) within the next few weeks. Thanks!

I went with the Clipper Creek HCS-40 (hardwired). Keep in mind the hardwired version requires a dedicated 40A circuit, but the plug-in versions require 50A circuits to meet code.

I've only had my car for a week, but the unit seems to work great.

Mike74jcw said:

Hard-wired here as well. We didn't need it to be removable or portable, so it seemed the simplest, safest and cheapest way to go for us. If you plan on taking it with you, needing an outlet for something else, or plan on moving in the near future, then maybe the plug-in would be a better option.

In reality, it wouldn't be a huge endeavor to switch the thing to a plug-in version, but I didn't see that as a necessity, and my panel was already kind of full, so using a 40A circuit was better than running a 50A one. Only if you will have a 50A circuit available somewhere else to plug it into would it be more functional...they are the same, identical unit except for the power lead - as said, it only required the 50A wiring because there is no 40A plug, and you could therefore plug anything else into it (like say a welder) that COULD use the full potential of the plug, and thus the wiring.

The only thing I've noted (only had mine for a short while) is that the LED status indicators aren't all that visible from the side during the day...easily seen when looking from the front. But, that is the nature of LED's...they generally have a narrow field of view. The car indicates everything's fine, so actually looking at the unit to confirm is not a big thing, regardless.

The unit seems solid, and I liked the idea that it was made in the USA.

Thank you for all of this - the clipper creek seems a great way to go. For those that have this charger and the car, is it possible to set to charge off peak? I assume this happens in the mobile app, regardless of what charger you have. But the BMW charger seems to advertise this off peak charging capability as far as I can tell. My i3 is being built right now, so plan to purchase charger when the car ships.

Just finished getting my Clipper Creek installed, now all I need is a car to charge :(
p490688979-5.jpg

jadnashuanh said:
SDCAi3 said:
Another thing to consider is that I'm pretty sure the plug-in ones aren't certified for outdoor use, if that's an issue for you.
BMW says the supplied unit is fine for use outside.

The indoor vs outdoor question will relate to the plug. There are outdoor rated plugs available (see Hubble Shore Power receptacles for example) but they are clunky.

Something I noticed in the photo attached to post #2 was the rather elaborate (and $$) installation. First hard pipe to an enclosure, most likely a disconnect, then to the Clipper. The disconnect is required by most US codes, primarily the NEC, which requires a disconnecting means within sight of most hardwired equipment. In this case a plug might have looked cleaner. If your panel box is close by the circuit breaker can serve as the disconnecting means.

Back