Ipad/Iphone app to control i3 charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinfwi

When I purchased my i3 I am sure that the sales guy said that one could control charging (departure time, etc) through your phone. But I cannot find an app for my IPhone/IPad that will talk to the i3. Does anyone know of an IPhone/IPad app that will communicate with a Canadian i3 while it is charging and control such things as planned departure time?
Thanks
Colin

I think the OP may be quite correct insofar as I think I've seen references in BMW marketing to being able to start and stop charging remotely, which is one of the things iRemote is lacking, as highlighted in another recent thread on suggested additional functionality.

Back around July of this year, there was discussion by BMW that a new app would be beta tested by electronauts and BMW, that would do more what we want in that context. However it is not supposed to be released to the general i3 population until sometime next year.

You can, at least in the UK.
See here : http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/owners/connected_drive_services/how_to_use/_pdf/EN/BMW_ConDrive_HowTo_Guide_iRemoteApp.pdf?download=true

I was sure it didn't and initially it may have been down to issues with my connected drive. Alternatively it could have been down to me not seeing the button to press as it's not a button. It's the time to the upper right of the image of the car.
Good hunting.

I've just connected using i Remote and been able to change the departure time by tapping the current departure time. If you don't have a departure time set it's a button that says 'Set departure time'. I'm in the UK, if that makes any difference.

RCZWhite said:
You can, at least in the UK.
See here : http://www.bmw.com/_common/shared/owners/connected_drive_services/how_to_use/_pdf/EN/BMW_ConDrive_HowTo_Guide_iRemoteApp.pdf?download=true

I was sure it didn't and initially it may have been down to issues with my connected drive. Alternatively it could have been down to me not seeing the button to press as it's not a button. It's the time to the upper right of the image of the car.
Good hunting.
Unless I'm missing something that's a function that I make full use of but it doesn't allow you to start and stop charging at will. I'd like to be able to plug in when I put the car in the garage, with all three departure times set. precon ticked and instead of having to choose between immediate or off peak charging I'd like to be able to prevent charging taking place so that I can do two or three days of 15-20 miles, with precon happening automatically from the EVSE but only charge if and when the fickle British weather allows my PVs to generate surplus. As far as I can tell, there is no way to be plugged in for pre-con without charging taking place immediately or when the off-peak band (which I use for daylight hours) is reached. However, it's pretty academic at the moment and will remain so until the days are longer and the sun is higher again.

How about having the times set and when you want it charged turn them off and charging will start. Preconditioning only happens with a time set so use the bottom left symbol like a wifi off of a white square at an angle, to open the page where you can manually precondition when it's not charging?

Thanks, already worked that one out but one is daily so it doesn't stop it charging at least once a day when I might only want to charge it every two or three days - mind you it would be nice to see the sun once every three days at the moment!

Back