Is it worth going for the 'Professional' media package?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterHarvey

I've got a Range Extender i3 on order for delivery in late October. Currently I've gone for the 'Business' navigation system plus the 'Real time traffic information', but am wondering if it is worth going for the 'Professional' navigation/media package. In the UK, this costs £960, and includes:
-Navigation system BMW Professional multimedia
-Real time traffic information (which one can get separately at £129)
-Information Plus - which one can get separately at £200, but I don't think I'd use.

This means the cost of the 'Navigation system BMW Professional multimedia' is around £960 less £329 = £631 - the cost of a decent laptop computer. Now for this you get a bigger screen and perhaps clearer graphics and split screen in some modes. I see from a description that there a few other 'whistles and bells' too.

If anyone has experience of both these systems, would you say it is worth paying the extra for the 'Professional' navigation/media package?

Peter Harvey
Currently driving a Prius Plug-in.

I think i am right in saying the basic sat nav features a smaller screen, with lower resolution and a much thicker edge/bezel than the upgraded version.

I also recall the iDrive controller is pared down as well, featuring less buttons and losing the handwriting recognition of the larger screen.

I pushed to get it as it integrates everything so much better and gives better Bluetooth connectivity with voice control, so my research tells me. It will make it more desirable in the long run.

I think business nav vs pro nav is roughly the same as all other current gen bmw.

- Smaller screen, same size housing but physically smaller, so you have a bezel.
- Non-touch iDrive controller. This one - http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automobiles/3/touring/images/idrive.jpg
- No 3D maps.
- No Accessible Hard Disk

All the early i3's had pro nav, so I haven't actually seen one in the flesh with standard nav, but I did have a look at a 3 series with business nav - and the screen just seemed a little small.

Enhanced BT & Voice control is a separate option on UK models, and you don't need Pro Nav for that.

In the end I went for both ZNP (Pro Nav) & 6NS (Enhanced BT).

For me in the 5 series the same option existed. With the bigger screen you get to do 'split screen' which I find very very useful. Being able to choose what you want displayed in the mini window is very useful. If I'm driving in the city I have the 2D map in the main left hand window at large scale spotting traffic jams 2-5 miles away. Then in the small right hand window I have 'arrow view' which helps not to trip up at junctions with turnings within 50 feet.

When driving the i3 demo I was a bit disconcerted until I remembered to select 'split screen'.

Like all BMW options if you can use it and can afford it - go for it - otherwise have a few beers. (or a new laptop ;-) ).

Managed to get my boss to buy into it after I persuaded him it was "a necessity to ensure I get the best from the range" :lol:

Has anyone got photos of the standard navigation in the i3? I have ordered the standard one as I don't commute in rush hour so won't use most of the features of the professional version. Nevertheless, I would have preferred to see what I'm buying.... :?

I think one of the enhancements on the Pro nav, is a graphical indication on the map of your EV range - it makes it pretty clear whether at least the computer thinks you can get where you want to go on the current charge (I'd assume it also takes into account the REx, if you have it, but I don't, so I'm not sure). The map also shows you the difference in your range based on all three modes, so somewhere maybe not accessible via Comfort mode, might be if you selected Eco Pro or Eco Pro+. THey both can show you available charge points, but the database may not be the latest, but if you select one, you can easily make it a destination in the nav (at least on the Pro, which I have).

Dee123 said:
Has anyone got photos of the standard navigation in the i3? I have ordered the standard one as I don't commute in rush hour so won't use most of the features of the professional version. Nevertheless, I would have preferred to see what I'm buying.... :?

Edmunds posted a video review of the i3 on Aug 21 that has interior shots showing the standard nav.

http://youtu.be/cc9YzUdpTaY

I was thinking about it again after reading this thread and my initial thought was £960 was too much extra then as I gave in to it I found out my order has started production 6 weeks earlier than expected so guess I will live with it now only 3-4 weeks to :mrgreen:

Answer to the OP.. no it's not worth it. As in value for money. However its better than the business version, and you'll therefore want it so bend over and hand the cash to BMW. If I were sensible, I'd get a 10" android pad for £300 mount it on the dash professionally and get a better sat nav, with google intelligent routing. Hoever after trying that apporach with my phone im just hoping BMWs offering is a better integrated solution with a nice looking screen.

I did not see where anyone mentioned the that the Professional nav comes with all the subscriptions paid for at least here in the US. Such as the nav traffic, internet connectivity, ect is pain in full for 4 years. Plus stolen vehicle recovery, emergency cell phone connection, ect.. is paid for for 10 years.

So that is part of the cost of the Pro Nav.

mindmachine said:
I did not see where anyone mentioned the that the Professional nav comes with all the subscriptions paid for at least here in the US. Such as the nav traffic, internet connectivity, ect is pain in full for 4 years. Plus stolen vehicle recovery, emergency cell phone connection, ect.. is paid for for 10 years.

The 10 year subscription for stolen vehicle recover and emergence assistance is standard without the pro nav. Mine is giga, but I suspect it is standard on the mega, too.

I have most of these traffic, internet connectivity, etc. features and others in my 2 year old Lexus ES hybrid, and after the one year subscription expired, I decided the very little use it got was not worth the expense to renew. Delayed traffic reports (even if only a few minutes off real time) made it as frustrating as useful. Traffic was often accurate and helpful, but horribly frustrating when not (I'm in Phoenix, YMMV elsewhere). All these toys are kind of nice on long trips, but mostly noise in town. Didn't interest me in the least for my i3 city-only car.

Maybe once a month I'll go somewhere new, or find myself on a detour where the nav is very helpful, but that much is already provided on the base level business nav in the i3. The smaller screen is OK and the larger screen would be great, but the larger screen is about the only feature that would be worth anything to me. The Sienna that my i3 replaced had the "ACC" cruise that worked great (via laser), but hardly ever used in town, either. Not enough use that I did not even want it on my ES, which has nearly every other feature available. Now that I've had my fun with the connected nav system, I doubt I will ever buy this feature again, either, even for a touring car. These things are mostly great fun to learn to use well, and play with when they are new, and often in a year or so become completely irrelevant to the use or enjoyment of the car.

I am getting a Rex next month as a company car. When I ordered back in March the external car scheme ordering system indicated that Pro Nav was a free upgrade. A month after ordering the car scheme provider contacted me to tell me it was not free and I had to pay for the upgrade. I was furious as I regard it as an essential part of the i3 experience so I made it clear I would cancel my order unless they provided it free of charge. After a month of them trying to haggle with BMW and then trying to re-haggle with me they finally relented and added it at their cost.

i3Alan said:
mindmachine said:

The 10 year subscription for stolen vehicle recover and emergence assistance is standard without the pro nav. Mine is giga, but I suspect it is standard on the mega, too.

I have most of these traffic, internet connectivity, etc. features and others in my 2 year old Lexus ES hybrid, and after the one year subscription expired, I decided the very little use it got was not worth the expense to renew. Delayed traffic reports (even if only a few minutes off real time) made it as frustrating as useful. Traffic was often accurate and helpful, but horribly frustrating when not (I'm in Phoenix, YMMV elsewhere). All these toys are kind of nice on long trips, but mostly noise in town. Didn't interest me in the least for my i3 city-only car.

Maybe once a month I'll go somewhere new, or find myself on a detour where the nav is very helpful, but that much is already provided on the base level business nav in the i3. The smaller screen is OK and the larger screen would be great, but the larger screen is about the only feature that would be worth anything to me. The Sienna that my i3 replaced had the "ACC" cruise that worked great (via laser), but hardly ever used in town, either. Not enough use that I did not even want it on my ES, which has nearly every other feature available. Now that I've had my fun with the connected nav system, I doubt I will ever buy this feature again, either, even for a touring car. These things are mostly great fun to learn to use well, and play with when they are new, and often in a year or so become completely irrelevant to the use or enjoyment of the car.

I have had numerous Lexus vehicles and still have a 2013 RX450h and a 2014 Prius Plugin and the real time traffic in the BMW appears to be way different then what I have in the Toyota products. The real time traffic appears to be actually real time and in a rural area EVEN. The Lexus info I agree was not worth renewing the subscription at over $200 a year, but the BMW pro nav package appears to be worth it to me. Anyway if you consider the cost of Lexus subscriptions for emergency assistance and entune at over $200 per year and the XM nav traffic on top of that at whatever more, the BMW Pro nav system is cheap by comparison, and quite frankly it is a steal at the price. I love it, even though on my Lexus GS and RX I have not renued after the first free year. The BMW system is more real time and worth it to me anyway. You can't take it with yo to the grave, money is only paper anyway.

:shock: No comparison between the professional version and the business. Like most, we make concessions when purchasing. The info/Nav display will be used every time you're in the vehicle. If you decide to go with the professional version, chances are good, you'll be glad you did. With the business version, you might regret your decision, everyday you own the vehicle. A big deal for me, no so much for some.

DAZ said:
:shock: No comparison between the professional version and the business.

"No comparison" is the problem. BMW haven't given clear information on the differences. When I was ordering and asked I was told the difference was the screen size and the 20Gb disc drive, that was all that was forthcoming. I can live with the smaller screen and £7.81 has bought me a 32Gb flash drive. I also asked about traffic as the Pro Nav is part of the media package here which also includes RTTI. The answer was vague but I later worked out that the business nav simply includes TMC

Since ordering I've gleaned that the Pro Nav also includes split screen and 3D navigation, it sounds like existing BMW drivers find the former useful, the latter doesn't bother me.

The only niggling uncertainty I have is over dynamic routing, dynamic range and Eco routes. BMW make much of it being part of the i concept in all the marketing blurb, whether brochures or online, but some posters seem to make an implicit assumption that this isn't included with business nav. I shall be very grumpy if it isn't and will be having a big argument with BMW if it is missing, given that this won't have been made clear anywhere.

RJSATLBA said:
DAZ said:
:shock: No comparison between the professional version and the business.

"No comparison" is the problem. BMW haven't given clear information on the differences. When I was ordering and asked I was told the difference was the screen size and the 20Gb disc drive, that was all that was forthcoming. I can live with the smaller screen and £7.81 has bought me a 32Gb flash drive. I also asked about traffic as the Pro Nav is part of the media package here which also includes RTTI. The answer was vague but I later worked out that the business nav simply includes TMC

Since ordering I've gleaned that the Pro Nav also includes split screen and 3D navigation, it sounds like existing BMW drivers find the former useful, the latter doesn't bother me.

The only niggling uncertainty I have is over dynamic routing, dynamic range and Eco routes. BMW make much of it being part of the i concept in all the marketing blurb, whether brochures or online, but some posters seem to make an implicit assumption that this isn't included with business nav. I shall be very grumpy if it isn't and will be having a big argument with BMW if it is missing, given that this won't have been made clear anywhere.

In the USA at least you have to get the Pro Nav if you want the dynamic routing, dynamic range and Eco routes.

Back