Is the i3 "Too European" for the US?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMoloughney

I asked this in a recent blog post. What do you think? Here in the US, it seems the majority haven't warmed up to the i3, and many think it's going to be a flop. How do our European friends feel about it? Is it criticized there in the press as much as it seems to be here?

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/04/is-bmw-i3-too-european-for-us-market.html

In the UK there has been mostly (astonishingly for an EV) positive press, including from die-hards like TIff Needell (racing driver / tv car reviewer):

https://twitter.com/tiff_tv/status/454294446423965696

"Just said goodbye to my electrifying BMW i3. Can't believe now much I enjoyed it. Felt like was in my favourite sci fi film Blade Runner ..."

Have not seen one in real life, I do like the quirky look and stand out style. Esp. in orange - just to make it stand out more. I would not call it a "pretty car" like my RX8 is, but that is the point - not all cars need to be sexy slick rolling pieces of art. For that, Aston Martins are IMHO, with Model S coming a close second. But I am originally from Europe so I may be biased ;o)

Seriously - it is about the driving experience, and there nobody really had any major complains (even for the Rex), so it is all good.

I'll go see one at the NYIAS next weekend - and will let my 2 y/o daughter judge it. If she gives it a big smile and screams "tati caaarr" then it is a done deal :) If not, I'll go look at Macans, Evoques, RS Q3 and the rest...

I don't know if I would call it too European, or ugly or just not aerodynamic enough. It is very different indeed.

I have yet to actually see one in person, yet I have fallen in love with it enough to put down $1000 non refundable deposit.
I am a little worried that I won't like it when I actually get to drive one, but I have a Prius Plugin now and I want more EV range than the Prius offers.
The Leaf was not an option as it is pure BEV and I live in a rural area and need the Rex option the BMW provides.

I just drove an i3 on Saturday. It was a very brief experience at the local dealer. They let you drive it by yourself on a predetermined course of about 2~3 miles. Torque was phenominal and I really liked the one pedal driving style. But I did not like the steering wheel angle (kinda upright) and it did not feel as structurally rigid as I was expecting. Actually that may have been the result of subtle plasticy sounding noises and/or the firm ride, but still. The ride was a bit diappointing to be honest. One of the advantages of a low CG is that you can soften up the ride without negatively affecting the handling, but they did not take advantage of the low CG for some reason. The seating position is high, which makes ingress/egress convenient. The steering is quick which is fine around town, but in the U.S. our version of "city driving" does not involve crowded cities as much as Europe. I heard the i3 is not so great on the highway, although I didn't get the chance. The look of the interior is very modern, even futuristic, which may or may not suit traditional American tastes. The seats are not very supportive and oversize Americans may complain a bit. Some of the bits and pieces did not fit together too well. Although I appreciate the fact the the interior materials are recycled or recycleable, they may not look as premium as Americans might expect in the $50K car.

When I left the dealer in my 3 year old Leaf, it was obvious that it lacked the plasticy creaks I noticed in the i3. It really is a solid feeling drive with a noticably softer ride despite 45lbs in the tires.

The bottom line is that the i3 may not be "too European", but some of characteristics I mentioned will cause at least some U.S. buyers to hesitate and maybe not buy one for sure. Overall it also may be a bit avante-garde for American tastes as well.

Me? I have only read glowing reviews and was expecting more to be honest. I am still consiering one to replace my Leaf in about 6 months to a year, but need a more extensive drive to resolve my first impressions.

Back