Latest off peak charging stiil has fundamental flaws

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJSATLBA

My KLE was replaced a couple of weeks ago, with attendant software update, so I should be on the latest software.

At the moment I have off-peak set to 0800-1500 (daytime for solar panels rather than for a night time off-peak rate). Returned home at 10pm last night with 40% SoC and plugged in to 7kWh wall charger with fast charge cable set to max, off peak set. Three departure times were already set, the first at 4pm today, precon off. Charging started at about 6.45am this morning!

This is probably the first time since the software update that I've used the off-peak setting with my L2 charger, I've either been using the 13A charger (to charge more slowly at a rate which more closely matches my PV surplus) or L2 immediate. When on the 13A it has been plugged in via a wireless Belkin WeMo timer/switch to make sure the car can't draw power outside the hours when I may have a surplus. This has the added advantage that I can cut off the power from my phone if there is little or no surplus and the car has sufficient charge for my immediate needs. Consequently I haven't seen the fault before.

Disappointing to find that something so basic still hasn't been ironed out.

I am not sure much has changed in off-peak in the latest software updates, I was under the impression a more substantial fix was slated for the backend of the year.

I get the off-peak to work but it does need some manual intervention.

Off-peak is set to start at 00:45, in the 10 minutes before that I use the app to activate auxiliary climate control and then the charging starts as normal. If I don't activate the auxiliary climate control, then approx 50% of the time, the off-peak charging fails and needs the connector pulling out of the car and re-inserting to reset, then it charges.

They know it's still broken, which is probably why it wasn't listed as one of the fixes/improvements in the list provided in the FB group.

I'm surprised this is taking so long to resolve as well.

Back