Maimum length of charger cable

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilH

I have a few things to sort out with regard to garaging my i3 (when it arrives).

My situation is that I have a garage with power, and can easily have my rapid charger mounted on the wall, inside or out. The garage is currently occupied by a Sierra Cosworth, which is not currently running but I do plan to get it running, and a Triumph Tiger bike. Getting the Cossie into the garage and allowing space for the bike alongside is possible, but requires a fair amount of manoevering.

My original plan was to keep the i3 on the drive, like my current Clio. However, we have pigeons in the trees of the drive, and their droppings pose a sure hazard to paintwork. So I came up with plan B - a temporary garage structure on the drive. However, the drive is not generally level, and so this would have to be about 5 metres from the garage, which is longer than the 4 metre cable for the BMW Wallbox, which I've ordered.

So - my question is - can the cable be extended, and by how much?

No idea if the cable can be extended but why not simply put the EVSE under the new structure? However, I’m not sure if the BMW wall box is weather proof. I have a chargemaster/british gas one fitted outside.

The gauge of the cable is more important than length. I'm not certain what current is being used by the charger if it's 220, 380 single phase or 380 three phase.
Odds are it's 220 single phase. Should be good to an easy 100ft of extension cord if using a 12 gauge if the current is 16 amp or less.

MikeS said:
No idea if the cable can be extended but why not simply put the EVSE under the new structure? However, I’m not sure if the BMW wall box is weather proof. I have a chargemaster/british gas one fitted outside.

It's effectively a tent: described as a "perambulator system", so there would be nothing to anchor it to, and no room to place it. It would probably not be easy to get mains to it, either.

buickanddeere said:
The gauge of the cable is more important than length. I'm not certain what current is being used by the charger if it's 220, 380 single phase or 380 three phase.
Odds are it's 220 single phase. Should be good to an easy 100ft of extension cord if using a 12 gauge if the current is 16 amp or less.

It carries the equivalent of 240v, 32A; so nearly 8kW. No idea of the voltage though, but the cables are not simple extensions: a 5M one costs of the order of £200.

I would suggest cancelling the IBM Wallbox and getting a socketed EVSE charger instead which would be cheaper than the Wallbox anyway. Then you can get a type-2 to type-2 cable of almost any length you wish to connect to the car.

BrianStanier said:
I would suggest cancelling the IBM Wallbox and getting a socketed EVSE charger instead which would be cheaper than the Wallbox anyway. Then you can get a type-2 to type-2 cable of almost any length you wish to connect to the car.

That's certainly a possibility. However, would an alternative be to use a type-2 male to type-2 female cable as an extension?

AFAIK the design of the plug/socket is arranged so that 'daisy-chaining' is not possible - the contacts fail to meet. Though I believe some hacking can bypass this.

I do not know what brands of EVSE are available to you in the UK, but I bought one in the USA that came with a 25' (7.62M) cable attached - length isn't a huge issue except for costs. The a/c power going through it isn't the issue...the DC control signals may be if you wanted it much longer. Most of these are rated for outdoor use, I know mine is (assuming it is wired up properly). Some of them offer a pole to mount them outside, just sitting there. The BMW box is stylish, but offers no more functionality than any of the others out there with the same power capabilities and has the right plug and signaling protocol (Europe uses a different one than the USA and Canada).

Powering up the EVSE just requires the stock three wires: hot/return/safety ground, but there are a few more wires in the cable from the EVSE to the car, and you'd not be able to easily extend that.

I've found a supplier that does 12m cables (nearly 40') and I've worked out how to position the temporary garage structure so that one that long should easily reach. Just need to cancel the BMW charger and order an alternative, and put the garage on order now.

PhilH said:
I've found a supplier that does 12m cables (nearly 40') and I've worked out how to position the temporary garage structure so that one that long should easily reach. Just need to cancel the BMW charger and order an alternative, and put the garage on order now.

Name Names! Does that supplier sell longer cables into the US Market?

This guy makes a 20' extension cord...if you talk to him, he can make you one in almost any reasonable length. http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html

And, if you wanted to just replace your existing cord, it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to take the existing one off, and attach a new one.

BUMWA said:
Name Names! Does that supplier sell longer cables into the US Market?

The supplier's relevant page is

https://evconnectors.com/index.php?route=product/product&filter_name=62196-2&product_id=115

No idea if you can get them sent to the US, though.

As I understand it, Europe uses the Mennekes type 2 plug as standard for EV's, the USA uses the J1772 plug. http://www.plugincars.com/european-commission-wants-act-help-evs-126265.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_J1772 This is one reason why Euro delivery of the i3 is not available to the USA customer, but total range could be an issue given that a tourist is likely to want to travel what may be some long distances and not have to worry about finding a way to charge the thing up.

So, it is unlikely any cable/plug, etc. you might get from Europe would be of any use to a USA i3 driver, and, that none of the EVSE devices made for Europe would be of any use here as well (plus, they'd probably not be certified by UL or any other certifying agency).

I do not know if the signaling and control circuits are identical, and if not, that would be another major issue on compatibility, even if you could change the plug.

jadnashuanh said:
This guy makes a 20' extension cord...if you talk to him, he can make you one in almost any reasonable length. http://www.tucsonev.com/J1772Extension.html

And, if you wanted to just replace your existing cord, it doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to take the existing one off, and attach a new one.

PERFECT; thx. Even fwd'ed it to my electrician whose son has a new Volt.

BUMWA said:
PERFECT; thx. Even fwd'ed it to my electrician whose son has a new Volt.
If you do buy one, let us know how it works out. Given the situation where ICE vehicles park in the EV charging parking spaces, it might be nice to be able to extend things a bit!

Back