metallic brake noise

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesw1

does anyone get a metallic noise when you apply the brakes at parking speed, i.e. shuffling back and forth into a space, not a squealing but if you press enough to stop the car, it almost sounds like metal on metal at the point the car stops. there is no problem when its driving or at any other speed, but I had a loan car for a bit that didn't do it.

It's not unusual. The brakes are used so rarely that they tend to get a build up of rust which would require a good application of the brakes to clean off.

fair enough, I use mine everyday in the city, with the best will in the world you can't drive without brakes with all the cyclists trying to have an accident in front of me, and yet the loan I3 I had didn't do it at all, but it didn't sound like anything serious so maybe glazed pads or something

When you're safe away from traffic, try an emergency stop. THen, try again as fast as you feel comfortable while going in reverse. That can help clean things off. On a loaner vehicle, if the driver isn't an experienced i3 driver, they would tend to use the brakes lots more than someone familiar with the regen braking operation, so they probably don't get the rust coating. All it takes is one drive in the rain, and the next morning, things can be funky.

Back