MY FIRST, LONG AND DISAPOINTING DRIVE

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrianStanier said:
It is confusing, partly because some of the information has not been updated and partly because of differing uses of 'medium', 'fast', 'rapid' etc.

AFAIK:
The Leaf can use the dc Chademo side of the existing 'fast' chargers, but not the 43kW ac side which has the tethered cable. The i3 can use the dc CCS chargers but not the 43kW ac side.

Both can use the 22kW single phase ac 'medium' chargers which have a type-2 socket and need your own cable. Toddington for example does not have a 22kW 'medium' charger only the 'fast' dc/ac 50/43kW units until it gets upgraded to include CCS. So Toddington for example is useless for an i3.

Thanks Brian - so I wonder what it was in Ecotricity speak that BoMW succeeded in charging from at Toddington...and with what sort of cable - tethered or free.

Hmm. Just read his second post where he did manage to charge - presumably from the 43kW side. If so I'm wrong and Ecotricity's compatibility list is wrong too. This does need to be sorted.

BrianStanier said:
Hmm. Just read his second post where he did manage to charge - presumably from the 43kW side. If so I'm wrong and Ecotricity's compatibility list is wrong too. This does need to be sorted.
This is confusing but I think I can summarise.

Ecotricity have
Single phase AC fast bring your own cable i3 compatible level 2.
Three phase AC type 2 tethered rapid charger level 3.
DC chademo tethered rapid charger level 3.
In the future they will add CSS to the twin head rapid charger level 3

The confusion is because the i3 can take a fast charge at single phase from the three phase rapid charger. Ecotricity don't want i3 users to do this because you will occupy a rapid charging point putting 10 mile of range in in 30 minutes whereas they are designed to deliver 50-60 miles of range if charging with three phase. Because the twin head units can only serve one side at a time there is potential to block a rapid charge for the sake if a few miles of added range.
Very happy to be corrected because I've found it confusing and may not have it 100%.

Bill

OK Bill. So there's no technical reason why we can't charge from 43kW ac - but they don't want us to. I had wondered whether the chargers don't like the current imbalance and would refuse the single phase connection, but it seems not so.

sasman said:
So Bill are you saying the Ecotricty Fast DC/AC 50Kw/43Kw ..That the 43Kw AC side can charge the I3 at 7kw?

Rob

I've read others say that they have tried it and it has worked, in fact that is how i read the follow up from the thread's original poster, where successful charge is reported at Toddington which, according to zapmap has only chademo or three phase. I've tried it without success but I wasn't aware of nudging the cable when the charger is looking for a signal from the car.

Bill

I would add a PS that level 3 chargers should only be used as level 3 chargers, after all they are put in places where you wouldn't otherwise want to stop!

If I owned a Leaf and was blocked from getting a level 3 charge at a motorway service point by someone in an i3 getting a level 2 charge I would be quite miffed. I only tried the Ecotricity point at my local services out of curiosity and did not leave my car unattended.

If you do want to use these points I would strongly suggest leaving a card in your windscreen with your mobile number on so anyone who arrives and needs (and can take) a level 3 charge can contact you so you can come and unhook.

Regards

Bill

Feel free to discuss the types of cable and power values here but my gripe was, that nothing was happening with 6 ecotricity stations, these stations were tethered and with a type 2 plug , they were all showing the same error.
I rang ecotricity and eventually an engineer (having had discussions with BMW) suggested I lift up the plug while inserting it into the i3 socket so that the car can register a connection. He suggested I hold it up while going through all of the confirmations (control panel button pressing).

At Toddington north bound services I left the car plugged in for approximately 10 mins and by the time I unplugged, I had 12% charge.

Bunter said:
sasman said:
So Bill are you saying the Ecotricty Fast DC/AC 50Kw/43Kw ..That the 43Kw AC side can charge the I3 at 7kw?

Rob

I've tried it without success but I wasn't aware of nudging the cable when the charger is looking for a signal from the car.

Bill

Bill, when you had no success what was the reason showing on the i3 screen?

BoMW said:

I never got that far, the charger reported that it was waiting for the car to initiate the charge. But it never did - locking the car didn't help.

Bill

Bunter said:
BoMW said:

I never got that far, the charger reported that it was waiting for the car to initiate the charge. But it never did - locking the car didn't help.

Bill

I do have a photo of the station screen, it reads

"Station waiting for a charge request from the vehicle"

Hopefully next time you will exert a little upward pressure!

BoMW said:
I do have a photo of the station screen, it reads

"Station waiting for a charge request from the vehicle"

Hopefully next time you will exert a little upward pressure!

That's the one, it never got past that and the car didn't really report anything.

Thanks

Bill

I just got a charge from the ecotricity three phase ac thethered charger using my i3. As stated, the trick was to push up while confirming the charge. Otherwise the car wouldn't accept the charge.

amateurish said:
I just got a charge from the ecotricity three phase ac thethered charger using my i3. As stated, the trick was to push up while confirming the charge. Otherwise the car wouldn't accept the charge.

Good to hear amateurish!
How long did you leave it in for and what percentage charge did it achieve?

BoMW said:
amateurish said:

Good to hear amateurish!
How long did you leave it in for and what percentage charge did it achieve?
One hour and just over 7kwh of charge

Bunter said:
amateurish said:
One hour and just over 7kwh of charge

I'd stress again the points that these chargers can only serve one head at a time, and that priority must be given to people able to take a rapid charge.

Bill

I don't think anyone gets "priority" since it's not as if there is an option for the i3 to rapid charge. If someone has a greater need than me then I would be happy to work out the best way to share the facility as a matter of courtesy. But my extra 20 miles of range might be just as crucial as a leaf's extra 60 miles.

But I do agree with you in the sense that I would not leave the i3 there for several hours without allowing other users a means of contacting me.

amateurish said:
But I do agree with you in the sense that I would not leave the i3 there for several hours without allowing other users a means of contacting me.

I think we're on the same page, but I wouldn't leave an i3 on one of these chargers for any period without leaving my contact details.

Bill

I have had the same issues with attempying to use several AC ecotricity chargers. Twice I have had the waiting for the car message and twice the mains power too low message.

I did successfully get a DC rapid charge from the new CCS rapid at IKEA Birmingham - in fact I was the first person ever to use it! If all the chargers worked like that it would be great - hopefully we can get to that point in the not too distant future. On that trip I took a bit of a gamble as I couldn't have completed the journey without it... I have a BEV only i3.

Latest posts

Back