New Charging App for BMW i3 Announced

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmSeattle

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/bmw-debuts-smart-charging-app-for-2015-bmw-i3-and-i8.html

Not really sure I understand the article. Sounds like it will allow i3 owners to have better control over when and how an i3 will charge at home to make the most of lower electricity prices during off-hours. I thought the app did this now, but since my i3 isn't here yet, I dunno.

vmSeattle said:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/bmw-debuts-smart-charging-app-for-2015-bmw-i3-and-i8.html

Not really sure I understand the article. Sounds like it will allow i3 owners to have better control over when and how an i3 will charge at home to make the most of lower electricity prices during off-hours. I thought the app did this now, but since my i3 isn't here yet, I dunno.

Hmmm.. The existing app let's you do this although it is a bit restricted as the only way you can do am off peak charge is to set a departure time.. and you might not always want or even know when you going to depart, just that you want the car charged off peak.

amateurish said:
Looks like it's for the US only.
That's a pity. I'm hoping, when I get mine, to be able to set charging at 3kW maximum in the daytime - when (I hope) the sun is shining. Then I'm being paid 17.2p/kWh from my PV array and shouldn't be drawing any from the grid! :lol:

FrancisJeffries said:
amateurish said:
Looks like it's for the US only.
That's a pity. I'm hoping, when I get mine, to be able to set charging at 3kW maximum in the daytime - when (I hope) the sun is shining. Then I'm being paid 17.2p/kWh from my PV array and shouldn't be drawing any from the grid! :lol:
The user menu on the car can adjust the max charge rate anytime you wish to change it...it may or may not be available in a remote app, depending on where you live, and what options they give you.

Back