New tires helped

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased a 2019 i3 in the spring, thanks to advice from this forum, and have had no regrets. However, when I drove it on the freeway in Los Angeles, it felt as if it were being pushed around. I initially thought that the small size and high profile of the i3 made it susceptible to wind and the turbulence caused by larger cars and trucks.

This perception changed when I replaced the tires. The car instantly felt firmer and sure-footed on the freeway, and the road noise noticeably quieted down.

I bought all-weather (snow) tires instead of the hot weather (summer) tires. Anyone experience the real world difference between the two?

"all weather" are not "snow" tires. "All weather" tires are fine but they still get rock hard in cold weather, which is why I use Blizzaks for the winter as they stay relatively soft and pliable in the cold. But they will wear out super-fast in warm weather.

I agree with Evanstonl3 here that all weather tires should not be confused with 'snow'. Not a huge deal for a rare encounter with the white stuff, but far from a good tire or in any way preferrable for it over proper snow tires.

Regardless, on every car I have been in, all season tires are usually quieter than dry performance tires.

David, which all weather tires did you get? I’ll be switching soon. I’m not one to mess with Winter tires, then Summer tires.

it felt as if it were being pushed around. I initially thought that the small size and high profile of the i3 made it susceptible to wind and the turbulence caused by larger cars and trucks.
David, did they perform a wheel alignment when you brought it in?

David, did they perform a wheel alignment when you brought it in?
I assume so, but am not sure. I ordered the 4 tires through Costco they performed the install. I think alinement was a part of their service, but I cannot confirm.

My mistake - I meant "All weather" not snow tires. The Costco choices were between
Bridgestone - ECOPIA EP500 (Summer)
Bridgestone - ECOPIA EP600 (All Season) I chose these

"...the Bridgestone Ecopia EP600 is an all-season tire, whereas the EP500 is a summer tire. The stock size of the Ecopia EP600 tire is 155/70R19.

It’s important to note that the Bridgestone EP600 is not a winter tire. It’s an all-season, which means it performs well in most weather conditions, though it’s not suited for months of freezing conditions.

That said, it’s ideal for areas with mild climates where it occasionally snows, and it’s much better in these conditions than any summer-only tire. The tire is rated for light snow, and the rubber compound is cold-friendly and molded into a deep and confident all-season tread pattern.

Like the EP500, the EP600 features a special asymmetrical tread pattern that increases traction and decreases rolling resistance. It’s a highly efficient tire that makes the most out of its narrow width.

The asymmetrical tread of the tire has a very long contact patch, which is the part of the tire that contacts the road. The tire is reinforced for minimal deformation, which is key to energy efficiency in high-torque electric vehicles like the BMW i3."

- Written byCharles Redding|Last updatedNovember 15, 2023

Last edited:
I assume so, but am not sure. I ordered the 4 tires through Costco they performed the install. I think alinement was a part of their service, but I cannot confirm.
They Do BALANCING of each tire/wheel as part of install. Costco does NOT do wheel alignments.

David, which all weather tires did you get? I’ll be switching soon. I’m not one to mess with Winter tires, then Summer tires.
See previous post.

Notices less road noise and felt like car was more grippy on LA freeways. Could be any new tires would have had this result, but I think the Summer tires have different blend of rubber for more efficiency., Therfore POSSIBLY the All seasons tires blend were a little grippier?

https://www.mybmwi3.com/threads/best-tires-for-i3.18263/post-74932I just posted on another thread.

I had Ecopia (EP500). Here it is for your reference:

I've recently switched from the stock Ecopia (EP500) to Michelin ePrimacy. These I think are "summer" tires. So I might be on the wrong thread, but I would imagine that you'll need a non-winter set too.

F 155/70/19 at 36 lbs
R 175/60/19 at 41 lbs

It's a night and day difference in traction and ride comfort. I drive the car reasonably hard.

We haven't had a proper rain yet in the past two weeks (since the switch), but it's far stickier than the stock Ecopia and the sipes (grooves) are wide. So I would imagine that it would perform better than the Ecopia in the rain. I thought the Ecopias were hydroplaning with a cm or two of standing water and I never felt confident in them at highway speeds in a rainstorm.

Note the photos: Ecopia here is a rear at approx. 25K km (see the wear indicator on the outside blocks). The ePrimacy here is brand new and has the Michelin branding inside the sipe (🧐).

We run Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and Pilot Sport 4 on the other two cars and the performance gap is large compared to the Pilot Sport 4 (and is even bigger compared to 4S). Obviously, the cars are different too. Pilot Sport 4 is far superior to ePrimacy in everyway. Both the eGolf (Pilot Sport 4) and i3 are running H&R springs on otherwise stock suspension.

To set the stage, there's a set of Ss near my home which I drive multiple times nearly everyday. It's hilly, with several tight turns (right, left, right, left, right) and is narrowish, but not a switchback (no hairpins).

The ePrimacy has ZERO tire chatter and slippage at higher reference speed compared to the Ecopia. I think I can push the ePrimacy much harder, but at 5-7km/hr lower speed (compared to the reference speed of the ePrimacy), the Ecopia is "telling" you it's at it's limit. Those Ecopia tires are making all sorts of noise and slipping.

Don't get me wrong: the driving is actually more fun in the Ecopias!

ePrimacy is also stickier dragging straight out of a nearby toll booth from a dead stop. The orange traction warning light has NEVER lit up in this scenario with the ePrimacy on a dry road surface (hasn't rained yet).

Lastly, it's also a bit more plush on bumps (cutting a corner with one rear tire coming out of a driveway, with the foot path about 4-5 inches higher than road surface) with accleration.

I think they did a great job with this tire. Where I am, it's the same price as the Ecopia. Thanks @nyeguy007 for sharing re the Nokian (we don't get snow where I am😇)!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-12-28 at 09.50.47.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-28 at 09.50.47.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 1
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-12-28 at 09.49.57.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-12-28 at 09.49.57.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
Having just fitted Michelin Primacies to my iRex, it seems obvious they are quieter and more supple than the previous Bridgestones, but a little more pricey. The car has always been a little flighty in cross winds regardless of the tyres.

Having just fitted Michelin Primacies to my iRex, it seems obvious they are quieter and more supple than the previous Bridgestones, but a little more pricey. The car has always been a little flighty in cross winds regardless of the tyres.
Fully agree about the Michelin tyres being quieter and more comfortable.

As an update (Dec. 30, 2023), Tire rack has the Ecopia EP500 fronts (175/55 R20) on close out sale for $95.28 per tire.

The rears on close out are (195/50/R20) priced at $173.88 per tire.

A super deal on these tires. Not many are left over. Act fast. Call Tire Rack at 888-541-1777 ask for Tanner at ext. #4118.

I'll post this in the other thread on tires also.

Last edited:
See previous post.

Notices less road noise and felt like car was more grippy on LA freeways. Could be any new tires would have had this result, but I think the Summer tires have different blend of rubber for more efficiency., Therfore POSSIBLY the All seasons tires blend were a little grippier?
Allweather tires are little worse than summer tires on summer, and little worse than winter tires on winter (below 7 deg C).

I wouldn't recommend using allweather tires to anybody who is a car enthusiast and gives upmost importance to safety.

Sometimes, a few inches of longer breaking distance may be the difference between life & death. Personally, I never take this risk for myself, for the people I carry and for the people around me on the roads.

Specifically for EP500 & EP600, I think we need some more detailed info from the professionals. Is EP600 really an allweather tire, OR a bit more grippier -less durable- and pricier alternative? Than maybe, in this particular case the EP600 is more secure option than EP500.

Anyways I do not like EP500, they have lot less mileage then mentioned, specially at the rear.

Last edited:
I just bought 4 EP500 (2 155/60-20 and 2 175/55-20) tires for about $750 (including a $60 Discount Tire rebate if one orders 4 tires) on eBay. The $60 rebate is good until 12FEB2024.

Just an FYI.

Fully agree about the Michelin tyres being quieter and more comfortable.
Guys, unless you enjoy drifting in cold and wet road surface conditions, buy the Michelin ePrimacy.

It is a far superior tire vs the EP500 in respect of grip and plushness. The gap between these and the EP500 is probably bigger than the gap between the EP600 and EP500.

It’s finally rained and the performance when driving through standing water is confidence inspiring versus the EP500.

I’ll report back on tire wear. But so far I think it’s a softer compound and will not last long. But that’s a function of how hard I corner. I don’t do a big daily highway commute.

Tires are probably the most important safety equipment for your car you can easily make a decision on. You now have widely available choice beyond the the stock Bridgestones and at a competitive price.

Guys, unless you enjoy drifting in cold and wet road surface conditions, buy the Michelin ePrimacy.

It is a far superior tire vs the EP500 in respect of grip and plushness. The gap between these and the EP500 is probably bigger than the gap between the EP600 and EP500.

It’s finally rained and the performance when driving through standing water is confidence inspiring versus the EP500.

I’ll report back on tire wear. But so far I think it’s a softer compound and will not last long. But that’s a function of how hard I corner. I don’t do a big daily highway commute.

Tires are probably the most important safety equipment for your car you can easily make a decision on. You now have widely available choice beyond the the stock Bridgestones and at a competitive price.
Where are you using these tires and under what road and climate conditions?

I was happy to find S-100 / 215-50-20s for the rear $143 each on Amazon. Couldn’t find anything cheap for the front so I bit the bullet and Ordered S-100 195-50-20 for $380 ea. Hoping it will improve the ride a bit on my 2019 S-Rex.

Back