New tyres (or tires)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerfSdrawd

I got just over 17,000 miles out of the rears (175 x R19 size) on my i3 BEV which I got last April. The fronts are about 1,000 miles or so away from needing to be replaced. Any other experience on tyre life yet? This seems quite low mileage based on some of the comments on the Bridgestone website and they're certainly not cheap!

I am not surprised that the rear tires wore out first, they are doing most of the braking as well as all of the accelleration. I am surprised that such a light vehicle with such high pressure tires would wear them out so quickly though. 17k miles at the rear is not really that much and 18k for the fronts is pretty poor for such lightly loaded tires that only steer most of the time. Perhaps BMW selected a soft rubber compound to increase grip over longevity? That's great for "The Ultimate Driving Machine" but maybe inappropriate for a city car that has to be hypermiled to achieve its claimed range.

The instant torque on the i3 means it is easier to abuse the tires than with more conventional engines that require the engine to spin up a bit before it has the torque to affect tire life much. It's so much fun with the i3, and quiet while doing it.

I expect in the next year or so, other manufacturers might come out with suitable low-rolling resistance tires designed for the i3. The only other manufacturer that makes one specifically for the i3 I've found is Nokian, but that is a winter tire, not an all-season. As more and more i3s are sold, and they start to need replacement tires, others will be more inclined to go to the expense of tooling up for a new tire size with the desired characteristics. What complicates it somewhat is that there are four different ones, two each in 19 and 20" sizes, which limits the market. BMW, and many vehicle manufacturers, like to have more than one source of tires...it helps the competition and keeps prices down, so there might be something in the works, but that is a guess.

The UTQG for the stock tires is 440, which isn't horrible. Some of the performance tires are only like 200. Make sure you keep your tire pressure at the design levels.

Sorry, doesn't help when you need them now, though!

DerfSdrawd said:
I got just over 17,000 miles out of the rears (175 x R19 size) on my i3 BEV which I got last April. The fronts are about 1,000 miles or so away from needing to be replaced. Any other experience on tyre life yet? This seems quite low mileage based on some of the comments on the Bridgestone website and they're certainly not cheap!
So how much is "not cheap"? I used to have an E36 Alpina that ate rear tyres in about 16,ooo miles but was hoping for more from these, but I guess the instant torque is rather addictive.

On Black Circles the 175x19 is listed at c£130 each which is quite a lot for a bicycle tyre. But you're right, the instant torque coming out of corners is irresistible!

At the rate of 4 new tyres per 17k miles that's 3p per mile, to add to the just under 3p per mile of electricity cost so overall the car is pretty cheap to run and great fun to drive. :D

Latest posts

Back