Overnight charge failure

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgersbits

Hi,
This has happened a few times in my 3 months of i3 ownership, and it’s very annoying. Every night I charge the car, using the cheap rate. Except sometimes, it fails to charge, for no apparent reason. Has anyone else had this?
Before leaving the car I always ensure the charge light is showing blue, the adaptor has a green light, the car is locked, and the app shows the car plugged in and ready to charge in the time period.

I have only had an issue when the BMW EVSE had a fault during the night. Other than that I have not had this issue.

You don't say whether you use the charge point or the car to control the Time of Use charging. If I use the former (with an EO Mini Pro) and the car set to "charge immediately", the car sometimes won't charge overnight - but in that case I get an error message on the dash.

Hi,
This has happened a few times in my 3 months of i3 ownership, and it’s very annoying. Every night I charge the car, using the cheap rate. Except sometimes, it fails to charge, for no apparent reason. Has anyone else had this?
Before leaving the car I always ensure the charge light is showing blue, the adaptor has a green light, the car is locked, and the app shows the car plugged in and ready to charge in the time period.
ye Ihave had the same issue-I have an Ohme charger, so can set charging schedules in the app, you can also set charging in the My BMW app as well and I think there can be conflict between the two. Trouble is you can't turn off the BMW charge schedules, if it's not set to a timed schedule the only other option is charge immediately😬😬

Trouble is you can't turn off the BMW charge schedules, if it's not set to a timed schedule the only other option is charge immediately
What else would you expect to happen if you turn off the charging schedules in the myBMW app?

Other than the charging schedules, BMW do not implement a mode where the car is plugged in but it doesn't charge, unless the battery is at 100%.

I say skip the charge on the cheap time thing. It can't be that much cheaper. I want my car charged 100% every time I get in to go. I just coded my Rex to enable me to set hold state of charge. This has been worth every bit of money to buy the gizmo and the app for my iPhone.

Also - it is possible your house gets a power fault in the middle of the night and the charger does not re-set to continue charging. Yes this has happened to me before. So I have to reset my charge point charger and re-plugin my car. Welcome to EV life. I managed to just get used to the various issues and move on. EV brings a lot of additional independence to me. I am a paraplegic and this is the most wheelchair accessible car I have ever owned. Not having to buy gas is also an added benefit.

2019 I3s
I have experienced no charging at times using the BMW home 120v/220v charger with the car set to charge immediately.

When I plug the charger into the car the white status light on the charge port fails to come on. Thinking it was a connection problem I unplug the charger from the wall socket and the car and then reconnect to the car and wall socket. Again, same occurrence - no white status light on charge port. I noticed when this happens if I open the driver's door the charging starts and continues as it should. This seems to be an intermittent problem but seems to always come to life once the drivers door is opened.

The car goes in to the BMW dealer next month for service, so I'd be interested in what they say as the car is still under warranty.

Latest posts

Back