Parking Brake Autorelease

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie94bc

It's taken me a while to notice this behaviour (having had the car for nearly 5 months) - up until recently I just thought it was inconsistent.

If you try to drive off (either in D or R) with the driver's seatbelt unplugged, the car alerts you to manually release the parking brake, however, if you try the same thing with the driver's seatbelt plugged in, the car automatically releases the brake. A nice touch albeit a non-obvious one. :p

Try opening the driver's door while you are in drive or reverse with your seatbelt off!

My GT has a dedicated autohold button in addition to the parking brake...I wish the i3 had as well. I like having the vehicle 'locked down' without having to do anything once stopped. The i3's parking brake is a cross between that and the parking brake on my 'other' car. It would be nice if they were the same for consistency. Haven't driven my i3 enough to get a true feel on the 2-second hold, but the way it reads, it won't work on a steep incline, whereas the autohold function on the GT does. I do not like the slight delay in engaging the i3's parking brake, either.

jadnashuanh said:
Haven't driven my i3 enough to get a true feel on the 2-second hold, but the way it reads, it won't work on a steep incline, whereas the autohold function on the GT does.

Hill hold works just fine on the steepest inclines in SF.

stumbledotcom said:
jadnashuanh said:
Haven't driven my i3 enough to get a true feel on the 2-second hold, but the way it reads, it won't work on a steep incline, whereas the autohold function on the GT does.

Hill hold works just fine on the steepest inclines in SF.

It's actually one of my favorite features. My driveway is pretty steep, and I've always done the two pedal dance even with my other car that has hill hold. Autohold is awesome.

Back