Pistonheads i3 review

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was disappointed to see that What Car? said the ride was too firm.

[urlhttp://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw/i3-hatchback/2014-bmw-i3-first-drive-review/1216668][/url]

A comfortable ride is top priority for old fogeys like me - and several preious reviews had said it was good.

What Car? said "The i3 sits on pretty low-profile tyres (they're narrow, too) and even on BMW's test route on smooth-paved roads around Amsterdam, there was a bit too much rumble. Pock-marked British streets, with their more open texture, could be even worse." Whereas an earlier review said the tall sidewalls guaranteed a good ride.

I sometimes wonder how much motoring hacks understand about cars.

I'll be picking out some rough old roads for my test drive now!

From Top Gear first drive:- "the ride is supple".

From the Car magazine test track dive with a BMW engineer:- "And it possesses a truly compliant, occasionally even cushy ride that a Mini or a 1-series can only dream about. Kranz says it’s due to generous wheel travel, and low unsprung weight. ‘The large wheels tend not to drop into potholes the way smaller-diameter rims do, and the tall sidewalls contribute a special suspension effect of their own,’ he adds."

Who to believe??

From the pix it looks as if the Car Magazine test track drive was on big wheels and the What Car test smaller.

The opposite to what one might expect from the comments.

Hard to be sure from photos though

Back