Professional Nav - Route Selection

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hengus

I carefully planned a 120 mile route from A to B using the BMW Route Planner. As I live in a reception blank hole, it was impossible to tell whether the routes had been successfully transferred to the car until I was a couple of miles away. They were missing from the car's system and arrived 2 days later - presumably, a 'hiccup' with BMW's sever.

I then set about building a new route via the Drive controller with the car in Comfort Mode. As range was an 'anxiety', I switched to Eco Pro+ enroute. My question is this: if the driving mode is changed, does the sat nav automatically re-plan the route? If ask, because I ended up on a track that I wouldn't knowingly have used for a horse and cart never mind an I3. Is there anyway to avoid this 'Catch 22'?

The Eco modes take into account hills, speed limits, and distance, trying to minimize all, with the rationale that lower speeds, fewer hills, and shorter distances will get you there the most economical way. You have several choices, and if you stray from the proposed route, it will then take the next best alternative based on the parameters selected. If you turn on the range map functions, I think you can see the results of changing modes.

Thanks. I have found the parameters in the IDrive; however, in the UK, Eco Pro chooses the strangest of routes. We have motorways, 'A' and 'B' roads and unlisted roads. The route that I was on recently comprised mostly of unlisted single track roads.

The other annoying thing is that 3 BMWs on, BMW hasn't improved the algorithms which determine when a turn is a turn. I am fed up with being told that there is a turn when it is nothing more than a slight bend in the road and, conversely, not being told when there is a genuine junction and a turn. My 5 year old TomTom does the job a lot better than my £1000 BMW professional nav.

My biggest gripe is that the Pro Nav with RTTI directing me down roads that are closed due to long term road works and then when I follow the diversions, telling me to turn around. TomTom knows the roads are closed as does Roadworks.org, why can't BMW's RTTI.

I've had the roadworks problem too, altho sometimes it works. Yesterday afternoon, coming down the M6/M5 from the Lakes to Ross on Wye I could see the M50 J1/J2 night time closure on the overhead gantries and on the screen but it wasn't until I was about 30 miles away that it re-routed me.

The most bizarre thing about the nav seems to be it's ability to pretend certain perfectly normal roads don't exist unless you turn on to them, when lo and behold they appear on the map. This renders the 'Shortest' option pretty useless at times.

Back