range deterioration VS heater temp

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSoundGuy

Okay so I apologize if this IS posted somewhere but I haven't see it yet..

With all the posts about range deterioration here lately, I thought I'd put my 2 cents in. We've seen all the posts that obviously turning the heater on costs range, along with everything else you've got cranked on. So someone posted "dress warmly, wear gloves use the SEAT heaters whenever possible and not the heater or as little as possible". Yep - great advice and that's what I do...

Maybe some have not noticed the range difference between temperature settings. The worst case I've seen in my car has been a 21 mile reduction in range when you crank that baby up all the way to 84 degrees. Doesn't seem to matter too much on the fan speed setting, and I haven't noticed range deterioration turning on the seat heaters either but I sure as heck bet they do take away a few heartbeats from the battery.. So, looking at the range in the GOM, the second you turn off the heater cranked all the way up at 84 degrees the range comes back. Turn down the temp, the range gets better in direct correlation with setting. I didn't think that it would matter since I at first thought the heater element was the same temp and that temperature was controlled by adding air, but I assume that's wrong, and to get the highest temp the element is sucking current like a toaster, draining the life out of that HV battery. I have the REX

Anyway, it seems like the average city driving is sucking out the battery range like an ICE (as duly noted by other posters), along with cold temps, ANY heater use, and the always guessimating GOM, so it sure seems obvious the range issues are just that, for most people. I am noting the same wide range of "ranges" but since essentially turning off my heater the last few days I see average range coming back up. My low range of a full charge at 51 miles came up to 70 this morning since altering my temperature settings over the last few days. I took off for the coffee shop and feather footed it. I went 2 miles and the GOM still said 70 miles. I think it knows I like to stomp on it... :twisted: it lies in wait of the leadfoot.

I have no doubt that if I drove the car like it was summer, and hop on the freeway for most of the drive I'd be right back at my ranges of 80+ for the most part. I hardly EVER drive in anything other than comfort setting.

Check out the consumption screen: iDrive > eDrive > Consumption.

You can manipulate various inputs in real time in the different drive modes to see what the range hits are.

Back