Rex Owners - Miles before auto REX in UK

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fdl1409 said:
I have an i3 REx. Mostly driving country roads with 50 mph and urban. Lots of mountains. My max. range so far was 151km ( 94 miles ) with 29km ( 18 miles ) remaining. More would be possible when driving longer distances and fewer mountains. I am sure I can always drive at least 100 miles in the summer before the REx kicks in. This will be less if speed is higher.

Frank

That's pretty cool Frank. I would be curious what the terrain was like and your average speed. The max I have gotten (and have tried) so far is 91.9 miles with 11 left to go on all EV mode. I had 1600+ miles before the REx went into maintenance mode and it only did that as I drove it off the dealer lot after the software update to fix the CEL. My 91 mile trip had me going the speed limit or a bit less, from wappingers falls to Woodstock NY with a few 2.5 mile stops between. I went up rt 9 to Kingston, then followed the cars navigation up a back road up a slow rising mountainous region. I also had my nephew in the car and we weigh about the same. Eco pro + mode, windows slightly cracked, no air... it was plenty comfortable and this was only about 2 weeks after I got the car May 28.

As for when the REx kicks in, I have not experienced it yet except the one maintenance run it did for 10 minutes after my battery went below 75% charged. I understand the EU version of the REx allows the driver to turn on the generator at will and in the USA due to California regulations the REx will not kick in until you are down around 6.5% charge left.
Kevin

I think your REx will hardly ever kick in unless you drive fast.
When temperature ist above 20°C I can always drive more than 100 miles.
What would be your average speed? How high are those mountains?

@CompuMagic,

my average speed was around 30 mph most of the time. However, there is a lot of time involved when I am standing in front of red lights, as there is major road construction nearby. My speed on country roads is between 40 and 60 mph, urban of course less.
My home is at 1.300 ft elevation. Driving in 3 out of 4 possible directions, I will have to climb to 2.000 ft within 5 miles. Do that both ways almost every day, not infrequently several times a day.

Frank

In case anyone is reading this and it helps their decision making process.

I bought the i3 REX. First day drove 79 miles. The REX kicked in for the last mile, which is all uphill.

I'm pretty happy with that result as at 1 mile per day I'm not filling up that often. Also, I'm assuming that I'll get better at conserving battery power as things go on.

RJBarry said:
In case anyone is reading this and it helps their decision making process.

I bought the i3 REX. First day drove 79 miles. The REX kicked in for the last mile, which is all uphill.

I'm pretty happy with that result as at 1 mile per day I'm not filling up that often. Also, I'm assuming that I'll get better at conserving battery power as things go on.

Thanks all owner feedback info is useful :D

Back