Rex tire size

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbillygoat

I’m interested in buying the i3 with Range Extender. I will also need to buy a set of winter tires and rims for it. I’m sure I read somewhere that the fronts and rears are different sizes. Can anyone confirm this and tell me what size they actually are. I see that the i3 w/o the Range Extender tire size is 155/70R19.
I also may be interested in the 20” rims, but not if they take the low profile type tires.

oldbillygoat said:
I’m interested in buying the i3 with Range Extender. I will also need to buy a set of winter tires and rims for it. I’m sure I read somewhere that the fronts and rears are different sizes. Can anyone confirm this and tell me what size they actually are. I see that the i3 w/o the Range Extender tire size is 155/70R19.
I also may be interested in the 20” rims, but not if they take the low profile type tires.

Standard tires on the i3 with range extender:

Tire dimensions front: 155/70 R19
Tire dimensions rear: 175/65 R19

Optional 20" wheels:

Tire dimensions front: 155/60 R20
Tire dimensions rear: 175/55 R20

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for as we are severely lacking information here in Canada on the i3. I was thinking of getting the double spoke 20” wheels, but i think I will stay with the 19 inch turbines.

oldbillygoat said:
Thanks, exactly what I was looking for as we are severely lacking information here in Canada on the i3. I was thinking of getting the double spoke 20” wheels, but i think I will stay with the 19 inch turbines.

Don't worry, it's not just Canada - everybody is severely lacking information read some of the other threads :|

Did the same when I bought my A2 - got 8 magnesium wheels - one set summer one set winter.

Check these threads:

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=186

http://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=253&p=1370&hilit=winter+tyres#p1370

Hi guys,

since delivery of our i3/REx is imminent, a little sooner than expected, I have to organise a set of winter tyres. The REx has, as standard, 175/60 tyres on R19/6.5J on the rear axle, but the winter tyres seem to be availbale as 155/70 R19 on 6J's only.
Since the load index is 84, max load bearing capacity of 1 tonne @ the rear axle should be adequate, but still, if anybody knows anything about the Bridgestones BLIZZAK LM-500 being available as 175/60 I would be glad to hear it, for I couldn't find any.

Regards, Steven

I was considering changing the tires on the REX to 225/45 R19 so two questions come to mind:
1. Would this tire size fit the 6" front rims? May bulge too much...
2. The 2.7" total extra tire width (divided by 2 for inner/outer bulging) cause any interference with the suspension or inner fenders, especially in the front?
Maybe something current owners can already start looking into. The disadvantage would be loss of mileage, but the advantages are (i) much more tires to choose from, and (ii) better grip. Maybe aesthetics too if one does not like the very skinny front tires.

Back