RExes in existence

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are some stats from a couple of longer trips in my REx over the weekend. Both consisted of about 5 miles of slower driving to get onto the motorway and then ACC set at 70mph although it was busy bank holiday traffic so lots of slower sections (and the inevitable UK roadworks). All driven in ECO-PRO, REx turned on as soon as possible (78% SoC) and then stats recorded at the point where the petrol is fully consumed and when stopping to fill up.

Trip 1, 8°C, dry, average speed 55mph over 190 miles.

Rex turned on at 13.5 miles : Indicated petrol range 82, Indicated battery range 67 (est. total = 162.5)
Petrol tank empty at 105.4 miles : Indicated battery range 69 (est. total = 174.4)
Refuel at 131.8 miles : Indicated battery range 23 (est. total = 154.8)

=> Petrol range = 91.9miles (46mpg).

Trip 2, 10°C, wet, average speed 56mph over 190 miles.

Rex turned on at 15.0 miles : Indicated petrol range 75, Indicated battery range 65, (est. total = 155)
Petrol tank empty at 101.0 miles : Indicated battery range = 67 (est. total = 168.0)
Refuel at 110.6 miles : Indicated battery range 51 (est. total = 161.6)

=> Petrol range = 86.0miles (43mpg).

So my experience is very similar to everyone else. The combined fuel + battery range seems to be about 160 miles for motorway driving at max 70mph and the REx had no problem maintaining battery SoC at those speeds. After the stop to refill on both trips I left the REx on auto and it came back on with only 3 miles of battery range left and continued at 70mph without any signs of slowing over the last 30 miles which is obviously ideal as you arrive with almost a fully depleted battery rather than burning fuel.

Picked up my REx this week. Totally in love with it.

I know we have different functionality here in the USA but any of you find that your Rex just turns itself on randomly? For example when I got home today and plugged the car in to charge the REx turned on. Comfort climate was not activated either. And there was no air circulating in the car. I thought it was odd... maybe it is purging the gasoline from the weeks on a boat across the pond?

I was curious how the REx worked so the other day I didn't charge it and let it die to the point the Rex kicked in. It's pretty much exactly the same and you can barely hear it. But it's odd the little grey lines that indicate fuel level have not dropped after a few miles of Rex driving and about 5-6 instances of Comfort Climate.

Hoping a few more REx cars show up here in the states and can share their opinion.

I love that I'll probably need the extra range once a month but living in Houston it is nice to have that as a backup. Otherwise I'm driving all electric which is super smooth and quiet. I never thought I'd say this but I might just be permanently hooked on electric... to the point of selling the 1m that hasn't seen any love this week.

It appears that the REx turns on (when allowed by the programming - i.e., some minimum charge level) on a timed basis...my guess is to make sure to get oil everywhere again, and to ensure the gasoline doesn't get totally stale. That timer probably started once the vehicle was first built (not miles driven). You might want to make note of the date, and see if it recurs at regular intervals...my guess is that it will unless you need it to turn on to continue your trip...that probably resets the timer.

SnowFro,

I totally agree. I have now driven a little over a 1000 miles in my REX and it is such a great car - both in electric and in gas mode. Had the REX come on the other day on the interstate at higher speed and it is really seamless, did not experience any loss in torque or in speed, and the little engine is rather quiet too.

Never had the REX come on for cycling yet as I use it on a regular basis.

SnowFro said:
... any of you find that your Rex just turns itself on randomly? For example when I got home today and plugged the car in to charge the REx turned on.
That's alarming for those of us that charge in an attached, enclosed garage. Somebody please tell me that this is either a glitch that will be fixed, or can be disabled in a settings menu. I have no problem with it starting while I have the car turned on for the purposes of driving it, but an uncommanded start while I'm not around could be life threatening as CO leaks into the house.

SnowFro said:
....For example when I got home today and plugged the car in to charge the REx turned on. Comfort climate was not activated either. And there was no air circulating in the car. I thought it was odd...

Hi, SnowFro,

welcome to the i3 motorclub ;) Question: could it have been the compressor of the aircondictioning you heard ? The compressor can be activated by the battery cooling system if the battery is to hot, for instance when charging on a hot day after a hot lap. The compressor sounds a bit like a small 1-cylinder outboard engine.

Regards, Steven

The REx should not turn on automatically unless two things have occurred: the car is in READY (i.e., turned on), and the battery voltage is below a certain point (I think I read 75% before a maintenance cycle can start - there needs to be enough 'room' in the batteries for the run time and the output of the generator to be useful). Then, unless the batteries get depleted enough, or you force it on, it will only turn on automatically after a period of unused (time, not miles). So, if you regularly use the REx in your driving, it won't activate otherwise.

It should not turn on when the vehicle is 'off', ever.

ultraturtle said:
82 miles on 8.94 liters works out to 35 mpg (US) at 71mph. Sweet!

Thanks for taking the time to give us some real-world numbers!

35 mpg (US)/ 42 mpg (UK) for the REx is not really so 'sweet'. Petrol & diesel cars can reach up to 80 mpg (UK), if not at 71mph. While I have a REx on order, my current Prius Plug-in hybrid has a year-round average of 93 mpg (UK) (perhaps 78 mph excluding the electric input).

Of course the electric range of the i3 REx means there is an excellent overall mpg/low CO2 footprint, if the electricity is from 100% renewable supply (e.g. from Good Energy or Ecotricity, or solar panels). If it is average UK fuel-mix electricity, I think things still work out better than a hybrid re. C02, but not a lot better. Driving at 70 mph on the REx will use a lot more fuel, and generate more CO2, than driving at 5 or more mph less ...

Peter
Durham, UK

PeterHarvey said:
Of course the electric range of the i3 REx means there is an excellent overall mpg/low CO2 footprint, if the electricity is from 100% renewable supply (e.g. from Good Energy or Ecotricity). If it is average UK fuel-mix electricity, I think things still work out better than a hybrid re. C02, but not a lot better.

Peter
Durham, UK

Are you comparing like with like? The 42 mpg (I have been getting around 50 with motorway driving at 65 indicated) is for pure Rex i.e. hybrid mode. Do you really get 75mpg when in pure hybrid mode, i.e. with no electric topping up? My plain Prius achieved 57.4 over the four years we had it - which is close to the community average.

Brian

BrianStanier said:
PeterHarvey said:
Of course the electric range of the i3 REx means there is an excellent overall mpg/low CO2 footprint, if the electricity is from 100% renewable supply (e.g. from Good Energy or Ecotricity). If it is average UK fuel-mix electricity, I think things still work out better than a hybrid re. C02, but not a lot better.

Peter
Durham, UK

Are you comparing like with like? The 42 mpg (I have been getting around 50 with motorway driving at 65 indicated) is for pure Rex i.e. hybrid mode. Do you really get 75mpg when in pure hybrid mode, i.e. with no electric topping up? My plain Prius achieved 57.4 over the four years we had it - which is close to the community average.

Brian

Peter: Fair point, Brian! - I realised this after posting, so re-edited my post. Good to see that at least you can get 50 mpg from the REx motor at 65 mph.

On my non-plug-in Prius, I averaged 62 mpg over 3 years.

PS do you live in Durham City, as I do, or elsewhere in County Durham? ([email protected])

I have just completed 1000 miles without using the Rex until yesterday where i had to do a 220 mile round trip to Norwich and back.

Left my house with 3/4 tank of fuel and 80 mile electric range.

Drove about 70 miles average 50mph as it's mostly dual carriageway then the Rex came on with 3 miles left on the battery. I parked in centre of Norwich where there's a free charge point located. I left the car there whilst enjoying the theatre to return to a free fully charged car.

Drove back another 70 miles and had to top up the fuel tank with £9.55 of unleaded. I got home with 1/4 tank of fuel and a depleted battery.

No fuss no problems just enjoyed the drive. Having the range extender just eases any fear of running out of power as for 30 odd miles the range on batteries was kept at 3 miles

So 1020 miles using only £9.55 worth of petrol is a right good result for me.

M

Back