Saving on electricity from PG&E with an EV in California

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiburonh

A poster named miimura on the myrav4ev.com forum has created an excel spread sheet that you can use to calculate the impact on your PG&E electric bills when you add an EV into your usage.

He's posted it on google drive:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2boNz94iJHhU2RnaXVNSVFfNmM/edit

Basically, you download the data from PG&E on your past electric consumption and then paste it into his spread sheet.

I learned from using it that by shifting to PG&E's new EV-A plan (which is time-of-use based but does not require the expense of adding a second meter), I will -- even with adding 3,650 KWH of electricity consumption per year for recharging the i3 (I'm assuming on average 4 miles per KWH, 40 miles per day, 10¢ per off-peak KWH) -- end up saving almost $500 per year off of my total annual electric bill.

On top of this of course will be the savings from not having to buy fuel. I'm currently spending about $3,900 per year on gas for my AudiQ5. I'm going to get the REx i3, but even if I allow for having to buy fuel to use the REx a couple times a month, I will still end up saving about $3,600 on gas with the i3.

Hmmm, save $500 on electricity, save $3,600 on gas, get totally free maintenance for four years -- maybe I'll stop complaining about the low residuals!

Back