So what ranges are you getting?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, today I left the house with 50 mile range. GPS to destination was 18 each way. 50 - 36 = 14 expected when I returned, and had 16 left. I drove in ecopro most of the way, but switched to comfort a few times as I had eco pro set to 55 mph limit. In any case the prediction was very good . Worked out great.

Sean

smharvey said:
So, today I left the house with 50 mile range. GPS to destination was 18 each way. 50 - 36 = 14 expected when I returned, and had 16 left. I drove in ecopro most of the way, but switched to comfort a few times as I had eco pro set to 55 mph limit. In any case the prediction was very good . Worked out great.

Sean

Hi. I regularly do a 64 mile trip on the motorway cruising about 65-70mph. I start will full charge and a preheat. On my arrival after 64 miles I regularly have a predicted 25 miles remaining.

After a full charge and a non preheat for my journey home my miles remaining are around 20...

noakey said:
Hi. I regularly do a 64 mile trip on the motorway cruising about 65-70mph. I start will full charge and a preheat. On my arrival after 64 miles I regularly have a predicted 25 miles remaining.

After a full charge and a non preheat for my journey home my miles remaining are around 20...

Eco pro or Comfort?

Gonville said:
noakey said:

Eco pro or Comfort?

Hi... All in Ecopro. .. With ecopro max set to 70mph.

Twscrap said:
Did 84 miles in comfort mode on the interstate mostly at 65-70 mph last Saturday with approximately 10 miles of range left when I got home.

Hi... hey that's neat... looks like real world 65-70 mph cruise is about 90-95 miles. Not baaaad.

noakey said:
Twscrap said:
Did 84 miles in comfort mode on the interstate mostly at 65-70 mph last Saturday with approximately 10 miles of range left when I got home.

Hi... hey that's neat... looks like real world 65-70 mph cruise is about 90-95 miles. Not baaaad.
To add some additional context it was ~80F and sunny that day - just about ideal for EV driving.

Twscrap said:
To add some additional context it was ~80F and sunny that day - just about ideal for EV driving.

Your comment makes me think . . . is there any range lost in hotter temps? Often it is 90 -100 F where I live.

scottlawrencelawson said:
Twscrap said:

Your comment makes me think . . . is there any range lost in hotter temps? Often it is 90 -100 F where I live.

Hotter temps cause better range (because hotter batteries are more chemically active, thus more energy)...assuming you don't use any additional energy in cooling yourself, and/or the batteries.

Most of us will have the AC on at 90-100 F, so that takes energy, and that comes from the battery, so less is available to move the car forward.

I'd also guess that at 90-100 F the batteries want to be cooler for various reasons, so even if you don't turn the AC on to keep the cabin cool, the compressor will be running to keep the batteries and associated power electronics cool. That also takes energy and thus lessens range.

Drove a BEV yesterday. Full charge started with 87 mile range. I drove 77 miles total and it estimated 10 miles remaining. Bang on perfect 87 from the starting range. I used Eco Pro+ the entire time (ignored warning to slow down when going 60).

Breakdown of miles at posted speed limits
17 miles @ 30 mph
27 miles @ 40 mph
16 miles @ 50 mph
17 miles @ 60 mph

Average speed as reported by the car was 31 (traffic, lights, slowing down for cyclists, etc.)

Outside temperature was 21C / 70F. I did not use any climate control--no need. When going 30/40 mph I mostly had the windows down. Atmospheric pressure would have been around normal (some clouds but no rain and little wind).

I achieved 7.1 mi/kWh efficiency. BOOM! Best I've seen anyone mention here. At my home electric rate (.14/kwWh), that's 1.97 pence per mile.

edit: I noted "posted speed limits" as I do not speed. That's illegal behavior. Seriously. Also calculated my current spend on diesel cost per mile at 8.1p/mi. Glad to know moving to the i3 will reduce cost per mile by 75% :)

After a brief test drive in a BEV last week I managed to get the car for a 24 hour real world test. Driven sensibly I managed to get 4.9 miles/kwh and travelled 71 miles with 21 left in the batteries. This is more then enough for our usual short trips and I have a 530 for longer journeys.
I placed my order this afternoon, now it's a waiting game.

Just spent 2 hours in a demo REX model. Range in comfort mode showing 74 miles when I started. Did 40 miles on highway at 71 MPH on cruise. Did 38 miles on secondary roads at 61 MPH. 4 or 5 stop/go from traffic lights on this portion of the trip. Did 4 miles in city streets. Had AC on at 76 degrees the whole time. Total mileage 82 with 8 miles remaining. About 1500 ft of elevation during the trip but ended where I started so no net gain or loss. Outside temp was 93 and had about 20 MPH headwind on the way out.

So, figure in the BEV with 350 lbs less weight, heat pump efficiency and in a white car (which is what I have coming) the range should be an easy 80 miles irrespective of driving style. Sure it would be easy to be gentle in EcoPro and get 100+. Plan on window tint to reduce heat load.

So on one hand we have 4.9 m/kWh giving a range of 92 miles and 7.1 m/kWh giving a range of 87 miles. I'd be interested to know whether the on board computer was zeroed prior to making the journeys which generated these data?

Bill

4.9 is very reasonable - my long term figure over 3 months is 4.6 and I can log up to 6 under favourable conditions. But 7.1 implies a range of ~130miles!

Yes, I reset the computer as I left. From my very limited testing I'm comfortable I will get approx 80 miles of real world driving and around 100 miles if I am very light footed - but where's the fun in that :D

Week 49 delivery, I hate waiting :x

Bunter said:
So on one hand we have 4.9 m/kWh giving a range of 92 miles and 7.1 m/kWh giving a range of 87 miles. I'd be interested to know whether the on board computer was zeroed prior to making the journeys which generated these data?

I reset the trip computer and it showed 4.5 mi/kWh at the end of the 82 miles. If the battery is able to deliver 18.8 kWh as suggested by the specs then the range would be 84 miles not the 90 miles that I saw on my trip. Either way pretty good in Comfort mode. I have a couple years extracting high mileage from an older Honda Insight hybrid so am pretty careful about slowing down using regenerative braking and not using the brake. I routinely get 70-75 mpg on that same trip with the Insight at the same speeds.

Marki3 said:
I reset the trip computer and it showed 4.5 mi/kWh at the end of the 82 miles. If the battery is able to deliver 18.8 kWh as suggested by the specs then the range would be 84 miles not the 90 miles that I saw on my trip.
And you didn’t use the REX at all? Using 4.5 mi/kWh for 82 miles would take 18.2 kWh which should have caused the REX to come on. I don’t understand why it would have said you had 8 miles of battery range left.

I just took my new i3 out for its first REX test run on Sunday. The battery lasted about 72 miles at highway speeds, but I didn’t really notice exactly when the REX came on. It was saying 4 miles left on battery and then the next time I looked it just read --- and there was a barely noticeable rumble from the rear. In the end the trip computer showed something like 4.1 mi/kWh for 109 miles. Apparently it doesn’t distinguish whether the electricity came from the battery or the REX. I’m not sure exactly how long the REX was running, but I used nearly half a tank of fuel.

Rex did not come on which fits with the 8 miles remaining of electric charge. I think it is only supposed to come on at 6 miles remaining in the US models. Mind you the check engine light did come on which I guess is the issue with Rex equipped i3 in the US!

But as you point out the numbers don't totally fit given the battery capacity. I did notice that the average kWh reading had a lag updating. It seemed to me that after a long downhill section, it took a few miles past that point to reflect the improved average kWh. The final couples miles back to the dealer was all flat low speed and perhaps the averaged hadn't updated to reflect the improved average by the time I parked?

Latest posts

Back