Steering Feel

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgersbits

Hi
I’ve just bought my first EV, a 2020 i3. In general, I love it, particularly the smoothness, quietness, instant punch, & the tight turning circle, which is extremely useful.
However, the one thing I just don’t like is the steering. Mine has zero feel, and the car is prone to wandering. It needs constant adjustment to track straight. Not movements as such, just slight pressure to alter its trajectory. There’s no slack, and it’s light & smooth.
Is this normal, or should I get the tracking checked?

I’ve just bought my first EV, a 2020 i3. In general, I love it, particularly the smoothness, quietness, instant punch, & the tight turning circle, which is extremely useful.
However, the one thing I just don’t like is the steering. Mine has zero feel, and the car is prone to wandering. It needs constant adjustment to track straight. Not movements as such, just slight pressure to alter its trajectory. There’s no slack, and it’s light & smooth.
I would describe the steering behavior of our former 2014 i3 similarly. However, our current 2019 i3 doesn't behave like this and tracks straight forward at highways speeds without frequent corrections. Tire wear on our 2014 i3 was even suggesting that its alignment was in spec. We bought it new so we know that it hadn't been in an accident. I had assumed that BMW made some suspension or maybe alignment spec changes for later i3's, but you situation refutes my assumption. Having its alignment checked and hopefully corrected seems like the only possible solution other than maybe different tires.

I would describe the steering behavior of our former 2014 i3 similarly. However, our current 2019 i3 doesn't behave like this and tracks straight forward at highways speeds without frequent corrections. Tire wear on our 2014 i3 was even suggesting that its alignment was in spec. We bought it new so we know that it hadn't been in an accident. I had assumed that BMW made some suspension or maybe alignment spec changes for later i3's, but you situation refutes my assumption. Having its alignment checked and hopefully corrected seems like the only possible solution other than maybe different tires.
Thanks very much for that. It’s good to know that similar aged cars can steer properly. My tyres are evenly worn so I’ll have the alignment checked. I’m also wondering if there is a bush that needs looking at because the tyre noise seems worse on the right front than the left. (The tyres are the same) Although this isn’t easy to check when you’re driving without some contortions!

Just driven the car again and I’ve noticed that the car won’t wind off a small amount of lock itself. It keeps turning! In other posts it seems that the strut top mount is prone to wear and I’m thinking that’s what this problem probably is. I’ll take it to a bmw dealer to have it sorted.

Probably a good idea to check the strut mount. It might also be worth checking to see if you notice a change in behavior when you change drive modes. I’ve experienced some weird steering feel (higher resistance during turning than “normal” and holding in place instead of centering while in motion). I have a 2015 Rex with almost 100,000 miles on it and a sport tuned suspension and noticed this steering condition return to normal after restarting the car or changing from Sport to EcoPlus.

Probably a good idea to check the strut mount. It might also be worth checking to see if you notice a change in behavior when you change drive modes. I’ve experienced some weird steering feel (higher resistance during turning than “normal” and holding in place instead of centering while in motion). I have a 2015 Rex with almost 100,000 miles on it and a sport tuned suspension and noticed this steering condition return to normal after restarting the car or changing from Sport to EcoPlus.
That’s interesting. Thanks. I’ll try that. I must say I tend to leave it in comfort. The eco mode doesn’t seem to increase the range by much and makes the throttle feel very dull.

it seems a little unnecessary to suggest this, but check the pressures, if you haven’t already. Mine drives fine but is sensitive to pressures. The other thing to mention is that eco mode certainly helps slow down rear tyre wear. I find comfort mode is quite fierce if I’m not careful!

Hi
I’d echo the comments on tyre pressures particularly on the 20” wheels - and especially with Bridgestone Tyres.
We have a 2018 i3 and a 2022 i3S as our cars at home and have 2 x 22kW chargers in our garage (although the i3 maxes out at 11kW AC). They’re both BEV only and 120Ah versions.
On both cars - coming from anything else, the steering is light and very “quick“ or sensitive. The electric assist is a bit too much in my opinion - especially at speed.
That said, you do get used to it, and especially on the tight narrow country lanes around here, that’s very useful at times..
Michelin tyres (on both sizes of rims) in my opinion make a good positive difference to the handling and the steering too. The i3S is less wandery I think due to the wider track.
My own car (i3S) is run with the pressures slightly lower - but it does seem to work and the tyre wear is no different (Michelin tyres) and if anything, comfort and handling are improved over Bridgestones at standard pressures.
I run the Michelins at 31psi front and 39psi back when theres just one or two of us and no luggage.
Loaded up - then 33psi front 42psi back.
Best combination I have found for my usage and types of road.

I’d echo the comments on tyre pressures particularly on the 20” wheels - and especially with Bridgestone Tyres.
We have a 2018 i3 and a 2022 i3S as our cars at home and have 2 x 22kW chargers in our garage (although the i3 maxes out at 11kW AC). They’re both BEV only and 120Ah versions.
On both cars - coming from anything else, the steering is light and very “quick“ or sensitive. The electric assist is a bit too much in my opinion - especially at speed.
That said, you do get used to it, and especially on the tight narrow country lanes around here, that’s very useful at times..
Michelin tyres (on both sizes of rims) in my opinion make a good positive difference to the handling and the steering too. The i3S is less wandery I think due to the wider track.
My own car (i3S) is run with the pressures slightly lower - but it does seem to work and the tyre wear is no different (Michelin tyres) and if anything, comfort and handling are improved over Bridgestones at standard pressures.
I run the Michelins at 31psi front and 39psi back when theres just one or two of us and no luggage.
Loaded up - then 33psi front 42psi back.
Best combination I have found for my usage and types of road.
Thanks very much for that. My tyres are Bridgestones but I’m definite having Michelin next. I have Pilot 6’s on my bike (actually bigger than the i3’s 😆) and they’re great.
I’m running the recommended pressures but will try your settings. The steering is as you say very light, which makes it great in town, but in mine it’s also quite sticky. I think one of the top mounts may be the culprit, as this would explain the road noise on one side too.

Sounds like a sticky universal joint in the steering column, my M135i suffered from that, albeit because of turbo heat.

Jack front wheels up and get someone to spin the steering from full lock to full lock whilst you squirt some WD40 on the UJ’s (probably 2) and see if that helps. More long term use a suitable penetrating lubricant, thicker than WD.

Thanks very much for that. My tyres are Bridgestones but I’m definite having Michelin next. I have Pilot 6’s on my bike (actually bigger than the i3’s 😆) and they’re great.
I’m running the recommended pressures but will try your settings. The steering is as you say very light, which makes it great in town, but in mine it’s also quite sticky. I think one of the top mounts may be the culprit, as this would explain the road noise on one side too.
Worth getting it on a ramp with a jack and lift front end and do as @RicardoF1RST suggests.
If I identify stuff like that I find WD40 doesn’t last long. - but since like me you’re also a biker, spray chain lube (in the right place) is sticky and seems to help most things.
If you need to remove it, then spray brake cleaner works well, but keep that on a cloth to wipe - don’t spray it around seals…. 🤦‍♂️

The front suspension (particularly the kerb side) takes a fair bit of abuse with heavyish loadings for narrow tyre sections and high ish pressures - meaning the suspension mounts, springs and dampers do take more punishment than you might expect. If you’re in the UK, then our terrible potholed roads can easily knock stuff out of alignment or even damage a link. You can also check the state of the front gaiters as these are relatively quick to go….

good luck 1703947540087.png

Thanks. Now you mention it, I did hit a massive pothole 2 wks ago. So I’ll have all of those things checked. Yes, chain lube is good stuff - very sticky.

On the i3s I find turning the traction off (as much as you can) makes a huge positive difference and across road imperfections it wanders less. I have one of the shortcuts mapped to the submenu to make it easier. Caveat.. brand new bmw winter 19” wheels and blizzak tyres (or tires for the ‘murrricans) and yes all 4 20” with summer tyres fit in the boot with the seats down!

Thanks for your input. Your issue does sound similar to what I’m experiencing. I’ve tried both modes and although it felt a little better in eco, the steering still doesn’t centre from small amounts of lock. I think therefore it’s probably mechanical.

Hi
I've had my 2017Rex for about 3 months and the one irritation is the steering just as you've described. I wonder if having the self-parking extra makes any difference? I wouldn't describe the steering as 'light' but it's nothing like the many cars I've lived with over 55yrs driving.

I've had my 2017Rex for about 3 months and the one irritation is the steering just as you've described. I wonder if having the self-parking extra makes any difference? I wouldn't describe the steering as 'light' but it's nothing like the many cars I've lived with over 55yrs driving.
My opinion, for what little it is worth, is that I think you will get used to the steering.

We have two i3's - one an i3 with self parking, and an i3S without self parking due to the wider track and wheel arches.
We have owned (leased then purchased) a series of i3's since 2016 - with our existing two purchased as low mileage used cars (the i3S had just 30 miles on it) are from 2019 and 2022 respectively and are pure BEV's (120Ah).

We have a farm, and I'm a 60 year old biker and former petrolhead, so I enjoy driving a lot of other stuff here. It ranges from tractors to a big diesel pickup and an old Landrover etc...
Until recently I also had a BMW 535i estate but sold it because it just wasn't getting used.
My i3S jkey is the one I usualy pick up for 98% of my road journeys.

None of these others have anything like the quick "go-kart" like steering of both the i3's - and which I have to say, on the smaller rural roads and in the town/city - I really prefer. The self park makes zero difference to that steering.

Only on faster, straighter roads (and particularly those with a rougher surface and a camber) do I think the steering feels a bit light and over assisted at times - but again you get used to it, and you do learn to treat it with care using minimal input.
I tend to use cruise control when on these roads - and that does seem to help a little - perhaps just because you concetrate more on the steering? I don't know...

That said, I think the speed of the steering response really saved me a year or so ago when driving on the motorway.

When coming up to the exit I wanted, I was doing about 60mph and slowly coming up behind a large pickup doing about 55mph loaded with what looked like rubble. I had already thought it would be unwise to stay behind it for any length of time (it was carrying along in the inside lane of the motorway) when, right on cue, as the uphill slip road for my exit was just metres away, a pretty large chunk of concrete complete with a bit of rebar (about 30cm x 30cm) fell off the side of the truck and bounced directly into my path at about head height.

Purely instinctively, I swerved VERY quickly left onto the hard shoulder, only just about retaining control (and then up the slip road) to avoid it - and to this day, I still don't know how on earth I missed it... it remains a very sobering experience.

I do believe that in the 535, that chunk of concrete would have come in through the windscreen and joined me... possibly taking my head off. I doubt I would have been able to escape it - both due to the size of the car, but also because the steering was less "quick", although I had always considered it good.

So whilst I agree that some form of adjustment or coding adjustment on the steering assistance (or speed of steering) might be good, in the majority of normal situations I have encountered (and a once in a lifetime abnormal one) I am glad the i3 steering is how it is.

Agree with Fordychap.
Almost five years since I bought my first BMWi3, both me and my wife first got the same feeling as Badgersbit describes, but very soon we got used to in and after the first weeks we really appreciate the steering character.
I have never been driving a go-kart, but I guess there are kind of similarities.
There are also kind of similarities with my 1922 Chevrolet 490 Touring, with tires 30 x 3 1/2", with tire pressure 3.8-4 bars.

Hi
I have a 2014 i3 Rex with 20"rims and a 2019 i3 Rex 19" rims. Both bought used. They're now pretty much the same as far as steering feel and steadiness at speed and I rate them both poor. The experience with the 2014 initially was it required rapt attention to stay centered in the lane at interstate speeds.

The 2014, initially horrible, got a little better once I had a local shop do a 4 wheel alignment. Toe out at rear seems to have been the major mechanical problem. While steering had always been crisp and precise, road feel or natural return to center are pretty much non existent. I took the 2014 back to the dealer and asked them to check the steering and they told me that was normal for electric power steering. So much for being driver's car (sigh). Later on the 2014 power steering started to intermittently pull to the left. Thanks to this forum, I had found service bulletin SIB 32 11 19 related to that issue and the BMW dealer updated the power steering software. That was a substantial improvement in lane centering for the 2014 but, like the 2019, the steering still is relatively lifeless and lacks a distinct return to center effect. Comparing to manual steering, it seems hydraulic power steering took away some road feel and later electric power steering at least in BMW's made it even worse.

It doesn't seem to have to be that way as both my 2023 Tesla model Y, a rack assist (maybe rebranded Nexteer) design and 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid, a Nexteer pinion assist design have lively return to center effects. They are both considerably easier to drive at freeway speeds but lack the characteristic steering wheel naturally turning to go down an off camber road or self turn on a banked road. The effect is, however, one which recenters the wheel to straight ahead but does not tend to self-steer into a banked turn like the old manual systems.

I believe the software update is likely already done for your i3 so the 4 wheel alignment, as others have suggested, seems to be the best remedy.

Back