The ///M i3 is coming!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom! I am definitely headed to that auto show on the 19th and am also cancelling my order. I would love the extra range and pure EV!

TomMoloughney said:

Don't know if this is related but I received the following email for BMW Munich this morning!
In German. But sounds good :D

Lieber i3 besitzer,
Wir hoffen, dass Sie wirklich Ihr neues Auto genießen!
Wie Sie wissen, BMW i hat sehr viel investiert in der Entwicklung und Produktion des i3 und wir sind noch damit beschäftigt, das Feintuning und die Verbesserung tagtäglich unseres Produkts.
Ihre i3 hat am Ende des Jahres 2013 produziert worden. Ihr Akku wird daher von Zellen von Samsung zusammen.
Wie aus der Produktion Slot 2014-17 (21. April 2014), wird der neue i3 mit Lithium-Luft-Batterie, die von IBM entwickelt, montiert werden. Diese neue Hochleistungsbatteriezellen in der Lage, eine Reichweite von mehr als 300 km mit einer Akkuladung in CONFORT-Modus bieten.
Als einer der ersten Käufer, BMW i freut sich, Ihnen mitzuteilen, dass Sie für eine kostenlose Batterie Swap qualifizieren.
Sie iAGENT werden Sie in den nächsten Wochen kontaktieren, um einen Termin zu vereinbaren.
Batteriewechsel bewirkt keine Änderung des Gewichts des Fahrzeugs. Es ist nicht entweder eine Änderung in der EG-Übereinstimmungs­bescheinigung erforderlich.
Mit besten Grüßen

What has april 1st to do with this very important news? I think BMW has a secret weapon to oppose Tesla....
but wait :mrgreen:

Tom, I enjoy reading your updates and your blog. Two questions: 1) For those of us who do not read German, can you translate or paraphrase the message from Munich? Second, do you expect the additional range from the new or enlarged battery on the Mi3 to equal or exceed the Range Extender on the stock i3?
Thank you.

ultraturtle said:
I just cancelled my i3 order as well. I lost the $1,000 deposit, but figure it's worth it. The M i3 looks too sweet to pass up.

Smart move. It will be well worth it! I'll bring mine down to Atlanta so we can race. I suspect I can make it from NJ on a single charge!

With my basic knowledge of German I have understood that there is a new battery system from IBM that has a range of 300km, as you are one of our first customers you are eligible for this upgrade, please contact you I agent for further information.....

Week 17 is when my i3 should be delivered so I hope I can have this battery exchange.

TomMoloughney said:
Smart move. It will be well worth it! I'll bring mine down to Atlanta so we can race. I suspect I can make it from NJ on a single charge!
Looking forward to it! If you don't have enough juice remaining for the return trip, you can charge up at my place.

From an impeccable source - the "wort auf der strasse" is that the M i3 REx will have two of these -

http://www.bladonjets.com/products/range-extenders/

agj said:
TomMoloughney said:

Don't know if this is related but I received the following email for BMW Munich this morning!
In German. But sounds good :D

Lieber i3 besitzer,
Wir hoffen, dass Sie wirklich Ihr neues Auto genießen!
Wie Sie wissen, BMW i hat sehr viel investiert in der Entwicklung und Produktion des i3 und wir sind noch damit beschäftigt, das Feintuning und die Verbesserung tagtäglich unseres Produkts.
Ihre i3 hat am Ende des Jahres 2013 produziert worden. Ihr Akku wird daher von Zellen von Samsung zusammen.
Wie aus der Produktion Slot 2014-17 (21. April 2014), wird der neue i3 mit Lithium-Luft-Batterie, die von IBM entwickelt, montiert werden. Diese neue Hochleistungsbatteriezellen in der Lage, eine Reichweite von mehr als 300 km mit einer Akkuladung in CONFORT-Modus bieten.
Als einer der ersten Käufer, BMW i freut sich, Ihnen mitzuteilen, dass Sie für eine kostenlose Batterie Swap qualifizieren.
Sie iAGENT werden Sie in den nächsten Wochen kontaktieren, um einen Termin zu vereinbaren.
Batteriewechsel bewirkt keine Änderung des Gewichts des Fahrzeugs. Es ist nicht entweder eine Änderung in der EG-Übereinstimmungs­bescheinigung erforderlich.
Mit besten Grüßen

Dear i3 owners,
We hope you really enjoy your new car !
As you know, BMW i has been investing heavily in the development and production of the i3 and we are still busy fine-tuning and improving every day of our product.
Your i3 has been produced at the end of 2013. The battery is therefore composed of cells from Samsung.
As from the production lot 2014-17 (April 21, 2014) , the new i3 with lithium -air battery , developed by IBM, are mounted . This new high-capacity battery cells are able to offer a range of more than 300 km on a single charge in COMFORT mode.
As one of the first buyers , BMW i is pleased to inform you that you qualify for a free battery swap.
You iAGENT will contact you in the next few weeks to make an appointment.
Battery change does not cause a change in the weight of the vehicle. It is not either a change in the EC certificate of conformity required.
Best regards

Two years ago, lithium air batteries weren't expected for quite a while.
"We now have one which looks very promising," says Wilcke. He won't reveal what material it is but says that several research prototypes have already been demonstrated. And as part of Battery 500, an IBM-led coalition involving four US national laboratories and commercial partners, the hope is to have a full-scale prototype ready by 2013, with commercial batteries to follow by around 2020.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21328466.200-air-battery-to-let-electric-cars-outlast-gas-guzzlers.html#.UzwedahdWSo

Dear i3 owners,
We hope you really enjoy your new car !
As you know, BMW i has been investing heavily in the development and production of the i3 and we are still busy fine-tuning and improving every day of our product.
Your i3 has been produced at the end of 2013. The battery is therefore composed of cells from Samsung.
As from the production lot 2014-17 (April 21, 2014) , the new i3 with lithium -air battery , developed by IBM, are mounted . This new high-capacity battery cells are able to offer a range of more than 300 km on a single charge in COMFORT mode.
As one of the first buyers , BMW i is pleased to inform you that you qualify for a free battery swap.
You iAGENT will contact you in the next few weeks to make an appointment.
Battery change does not cause a change in the weight of the vehicle. It is not either a change in the EC certificate of conformity required.
Best regards
[/quote]

John, have you been in contact with your I agent to check out this email yet?
Cheers
Bo

Now that April 1st is behind us, would it the time to comeout and clear the M version and air battery jokes? :p

John, have you been in contact with your I agent to check out this email yet?
Cheers
I haven't ordered one yet. I just translated the email from page 1.
An i3 is a bit out of my prices range, and if lithium air batteries have really arrived, I'm waiting to see if other manufacturers will switch.

Back