UK used i3s on Autotrader

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee123

There appear to be a good number of i3s on there with an average of £5k off cash price which is pretty good value. However a DC equipment appears rare as only very few have it! Some even lack winter pack which is absolutely essential in the UK.

If looking to buy used, DC and winter pack are the two options that should be standard! They now are in the USA and winter pack is on the UK.

DC is still pretty useless down here as there are virtually no DC charge points. Moreover, in 12 months I have never had the need to charge anywhere but at home given that I bought the car for journeys less than 100 miles.

Sorry to be controversial, but DC is pretty much a must for me.

We live in the Midlands and I recently went to Leeds, which was done fully electric (we have a REx) thanks to Ecotricity Rapid CCS at Trowell N and S on the M1. Trips to London are also now possible in reasonable time for us thanks to Beaconsfield and London Exchange CCS chargers. Yes, they are not 100% reliable, but if you check with Ecotricity and plan beforehand then it can work. There is also a CCS charger at the Xscape in Milton Keynes (Chargemaster, ChargeNow), but they want £7 for 30 mins, I remember.

Most importantly, I'm planning a trip to Germany soon, aiming to not use the REx at all. This will include 5 CCS chargers and one Type 2 charger (best case). I'll see how reliable these are once I've been on my e-adventure!

As I said, Rapid DC is pretty important in my book.

I'm lazy so REx all the way for me if going on any journey greater than 80 miles. After my 4 day test drive I very quickly decided not to bother with the charging network, hence no DC prep. I wouldn't be put off by lack of DC prep on an I3 with Rex whereas on a BEv it's a completely different story as you need all the tools at your disposal to keep mobile.

psquare said:
I really don't see anything controversial at all. The whole BEV v REx thing, with or without DC etc, is entirely personal, depending on needs and on reasons for buying an i3.

Now, what would be controversial would be if a BEV driver turned up at a public charging station just after a REx driver with a full tank and flat battery had plugged in and thought that the REx driver should unplug and continue on petrol!

RJSATLBA said:
I really don't see anything controversial at all. The whole BEV v REx thing, with or without DC etc, is entirely personal, depending on needs and on reasons for buying an i3.

Now, what would be controversial would be if a BEV driver turned up at a public charging station just after a REx driver with a full tank and flat battery had plugged in and thought that the REx driver should unplug and continue on petrol!

I only said that I'm sorry to be controversial because of the very point you're referring to. It's a personal thing, as you quite rightly say. I always try to keep my posts neutral, keeping in mind that needs and requirements vary. There always seem to be posters who take it "the wrong way" though, but I guess that's the way it is.

psquare said:

We live in the Midlands and I recently went to Leeds, which was done fully electric (we have a REx) thanks to Ecotricity Rapid CCS at Trowell N and S on the M1. Trips to London are also now possible in reasonable time for us thanks to Beaconsfield and London Exchange CCS chargers. Yes, they are not 100% reliable, but if you check with Ecotricity and plan beforehand then it can work. There is also a CCS charger at the Xscape in Milton Keynes (Chargemaster, ChargeNow), but they want £7 for 30 mins, I remember.

Most importantly, I'm planning a trip to Germany soon, aiming to not use the REx at all. This will include 5 CCS chargers and one Type 2 charger (best case). I'll see how reliable these are once I've been on my e-adventure!

As I said, Rapid DC is pretty important in my book.

For your situation, the REX (and accompanying fuel) seem like dead weight. I know there is some comfort in having a ready source of range, but if you haven't used your REX at all it seems like a source of inefficiency.

PDXelectric said:
For your situation, the REX (and accompanying fuel) seem like dead weight. I know there is some comfort in having a ready source of range, but if you haven't used your REX at all it seems like a source of inefficiency.

With all respect, this is exactly what has been pointed out further above. It's a personal thing. Trust me, my decision to buy a REx was carefully planned. For various personal reasons, it will always be more beneficial for my family and me to have the petrol backup of 50-60 additional miles for the coming years of ownership.

My journey to Germany represents 3-5% of our annual mileage. The fact that I'm trying to go all-electric on a longer trip is just a little personal challenge and adventure.

More hopefully soon.
P

Back