USA

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxb40

With the incoming launch of the i3 in US, I think it is time to get our own space here too :cool:

Three cheers for you. I was thinking of the same but I am glad you acted on it. As deliveries mount up, there should be lots of USA chatter.

dennis said:
For California i3 REX people...

This will be of interest.

Looks like Green will be out before BMW even gets it approved for the sticker.

Change of plans to BEV, I guess.

AB2013 passed the Assembly Transportation Committee last week by a 14-0 vote. If it does indeed get final approval, it will increase the green sticker allotment from the current 40,000 that is running out this week sometime, to 85,000 which would last for at least another year or so.

TomMoloughney said:
dennis said:

AB2013 passed the Assembly Transportation Committee last week by a 14-0 vote. If it does indeed get final approval, it will increase the green sticker allotment from the current 40,000 that is running out this week sometime, to 85,000 which would last for at least another year or so.

BMW still needs to get the i3 REX approved for the list...

That's still not there (believe me, I've been checking in with the "geniuses" for a while now...)

Saw my first i3 on the road yesterday in Beverly Hills. I approach the couple who purchased the vehicle as they were waiting for the traffic signal to change. Needless-to-say, the new owners loved the vehicle. Although the looks of the i3 are a subject of some controversy. seeing one "in the flesh" on the road amidst traffic gave me a wholly new view of it. The car looks smart and snappy and well put together--very much a BMW.

drb said:
Saw my first i3 on the road yesterday in Beverly Hills. I approach the couple who purchased the vehicle as they were waiting for the traffic signal to change. Needless-to-say, the new owners loved the vehicle. Although the looks of the i3 are a subject of some controversy. seeing one "in the flesh" on the road amidst traffic gave me a wholly new view of it. The car looks smart and snappy and well put together--very much a BMW.

BEV or BEVx? Pictures?

drb said:
Any chance we've gotten bad info and it had a surprise sunroof? :)

By the way, my order printout has a line item "BMW i launch" for no charge. All the other packages and options are listed, so I don't think it's a catch-all for the first three month fully-loaded batch of US i3s. Anyone know what it is? Maybe something like they did for the first 1 series... I believe they had a special "Year One of the One" badge or something like that.

Also, my CA said there is a "Coundown Program" in which those of us getting the first US i3s will be enrolled in, but no details other than saying that BMW would have "a small surprise for you." Anyone know anything about this?

dennis said:
TomMoloughney said:
dennis said:

BMW still needs to get the i3 REX approved for the list...

That's still not there (believe me, I've been checking in with the "geniuses" for a while now...)

It's currently undergoing the testing Dennis. Won't be long now. I'm guessing we get the announcement right before NYIAS.

TomMoloughney said:
It's currently undergoing the testing Dennis. Won't be long now. I'm guessing we get the announcement right before NYIAS.

Thanks Tom. Just changed the order to BEV from BEVx. My car is still not in production... Just didn't want to risk it. Besides, I have access to a NEMA 14-50 on both ends (and a JESLA to charge from)

Tom, I am not concerned about either the green sticker or the state rebate. As you point out, one measure has passed the Assembly transportation committee and Senate leadership plus the Governor's office and the Air Resources Board are behind maintaining and enlarging these programs. The problem lies here: BMW. I learned today from my Orange County dealer that while the first batch of i3s will arrive by April 28, that batch will be the Bev vehicles, not the Rex. Launch Edition Rex vehicles will not arrive until May, perhaps June because of the certification issue. As you know, the Rex cannot be sold in California until it is certified. Initially I thought it was the State that was being the reluctant actor in this drama. But I have since been convinced that it is BMW. I hope you are right that the Rex is presently being tested but from what I hear, that may not be the case. I think that BMW has dropped the ball and as a community of future i3 owners, we need to "encourage" BMW to move this process along.

Friends, now that we have i3's in the hands of owners and on the road, much of the speculation that has consumed a large part of this great blog will be replaced by real life stories and hard data. Let us start sharing our experiences based on U.S. conditions, roads, availability of charging stations, etc.

Back