Wallbox survey

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaz26

Had a call from Schneider Electrics, calling to do a survey next week for the wallbox

Had the survey for our wall box today. Not as straight forward as I thought. Our consumer unit ( fuse box) has no spare capacity so a new unit will be necessary. Not covered by basic installation charge. If you live in an older property you will need a modern fuse box

Also our house apparently has a 100 amp supply, charging the i3 at 32amp will take a third of the house capacity, in some UK properties the supply might only be 60 amp

The wall box needs to be installed in a covered location

Any way more research needed and cost to be nailed down.

Don't like the idea of even more cost!!

Bit concerned to read about their requirement for the charger to be covered. I have 32 Amps spare on my fuse box and was planning to locate the charger on the external wall which is adjacent to the fuse box. Looks like I am going to have to either construct an external wooden cabinet or some kind of protruding roof. Will find out more in the next couple of weeks when Schneider visit.

Davidfromdigswell said:
Bit concerned to read about their requirement for the charger to be covered. I have 32 Amps spare on my fuse box and was planning to locate the charger on the external wall which is adjacent to the fuse box. Looks like I am going to have to either construct an external wooden cabinet or some kind of protruding roof. Will find out more in the next couple of weeks when Schneider visit.

Yes the solution you outline is what they explained to me.

Whichever supplier you use, the "free" element will always be the same. I can't remember the details but I think it depends on having a modern consumer unit on an external wall and the external cable run is less than 10(?) metres. If you're set up like this, the entire caboodle is "free" (aka paid for by your generous fellow taxpayers).

The BMW box is gucci kit - hence the £375 whack that you still get stung for. And if (like me) you have a consumer unit that's deep in the cellars of a house that predates the invention of electricity by centuries and the garage is detached and distant, you can expect a big bill.

The way I understand it just from reading the government information regarding the domestic chargepoint grant : "Homeowners may receive up to 75% (capped at £1,000 including VAT) off the total capital costs of the chargepoint plus associated installation costs."

So the £375 cost of the BMW/Schneider kit is the remainder after the £1000 grant contribution.

What I'm not sure about is who pays for this remaining 25% when you go via the various companies who are offering chargepoints to be installed for free.

Plug said:
What I'm not sure about is who pays for this remaining 25% when you go via the various companies who are offering chargepoints to be installed for free.

The installers pay it. They bill £1000 but then pay your 25% of the contribution. They still make £240-£300 on a plain vanilla installation.

Does anyone know if this Chargemaster free offer is i3 compatible?

http://www.chargemasterplc.com/index.php/free_homecharge_offer/

I've got a garage at the bottom of my garden, about 100ft from the house - it has a 13a socket plus lighting & garden lights supply but I'm not sure whether the cable is rated for 30amps.

If it is - does anyone know if the distance would rule out a fast charge system on voltage drop?

I suspect putting a new cable in would be extremely expensive.

Grateful for any ideas.

The i3 has a Type-2 socket..

It is also available with the Type 2 cable that is used by the Renault Zoe and also can be specified with a Type 2 socket, proving total flexibility.

Yes, it is compatible if you get one of the type-2 options.

100 ft is possible but may require a new cable. Might also need a ground spike.

Only way to know is to get a survey and a cost estimate.

Following on from this, if the free Chargemaster charging unit is fully compatible with the i3, could this be an alternative to the BMW iWallbox, thereby saving £375? Presumably, the i3 doesn't have to be specced differently in any way to plug into the Chargemaster? Also, it appears that the Chargemaster unit is fully waterproof, whereas, if I'm reading it correctly, the iWallbox has to be installed in a 'covered location'?

Yes to all of the above. Different installers charge different amounts for the "extras" that most installs will end up needing. But with BMW starting at £375 above most of the rest, I don't see how they are going to end up less expensive.

Chargemaster are offering free wallboxes still, although they will not of course sort out your supply issues...

http://www.chargemasterplc.com/index.php/free_homecharge_offer/

They have done mine fast & free, I'm just waiting for the car.

Think I will also go with Chargemaster quoting £95 for the 32amp 7kw charger.

Back