winter (snow) tires or all season tires

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwerius

Hello,

I don't like to change tires twice a year.
On my wife's car we switched to all season tires and we're quite happy with them.

I ordered the i3 about a month ago and I'm just wondering:
are all season tires already available (because of the special tire sizes)?
Anybody any idea?

Zwerius said:
Hello,

I don't like to change tires twice a year.
On my wife's car we switched to all season tires and we're quite happy with them.

I ordered the i3 about a month ago and I'm just wondering:
are all season tires already available (because of the special tire sizes)?
Anybody any idea?

Zwerius, I don't like All Season Tyres!

They're always a compromise and wear down faster compared to purpose made summer and winter tyres.
In the winter the rubber compound gets too hard and in the summer the rubber becomes too soft which gives more wear and tear. And the tyres don't have as much traction either: in the winter, snow is not gripped into as well as winter tyres and in the summer, water is not channeled away as effectively as summer tyres do.

The extra expense could be a problem but with all the tax breaks we're getting here in Holland with the i3, we can surely shell out some extra euro's for safety's sake!

Just bumping this as there haven't been any replies. I did read someone saying that the German dealer prices were lower than the UK, but so far I haven't seen anything on the German BMW site.

I'll probably get my wife to ring a couple of dealers before we go to Germany later in the year, but it would be good to get an idea of UK prices first...

Anyone?

900 Euros including German MwST (VAT) for a set of 4 wheel and tyres 19 inch standard alloy rims

@ecoangel:
Can you give a link (or adress) where these sets are offered?
I live in the Netherlands, but close to the German Border.
So I could buy them in Germany if I knew where to go.

Also here (799€), plus a 428 set

https://www.procarshop.de/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=I3

900 € at the dutch local BMW dealers. Only the small tyre size is available (155) so rex owners will get small tyres at the back instead of the 175.

No all season tyres are on the market, just winter of normal ones and only one manufacturor

BMWi3RexNL said:
900 € at the dutch local BMW dealers. Only the small tyre size is available (155) so rex owners will get small tyres at the back instead of the 175.

No all season tyres are on the market, just winter of normal ones and only one manufacturor
Bridgestone BLIZZAK LM-500 (Winter) only 19" 155 / 70
Bridgestone ECOPIA EP500 (Summer) all sizes

I did a detailed blog post about the tires & wheels. The availability may be slightly different in different countries though: http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/02/bmw-i3-wheels-and-tires-what-you-need.html

Back