WTB: 110V BMW OEM L1 EVSE

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BL5

Anyone have one sitting around? Mine died, gen1 is preferred as it has higher amp output as i recall.

Send me a PM

Yeah, was going to chime in that there are 8, 10, and 12 amp versions, so be choosy.

I don't know how important it is to you to get a hold of one of the OE Delphi units. I mainly use a $180 Zencar that lets me select 6, 8, 10, 12, or 16 amps, delayed start in 2 hour increments, and dual voltage 120/240, with a convenient little LCD display to show actual input voltage, amperage, cumulative time charging, and session kWh.

My understanding was 2014-2018 was version 1 (16A?) and 2019+ was updated version with lower Amps?

Never seen a 8A model, wow that’s not even 1.0kW, take 6 weeks to charge my 205kWh Hummer, LOL.

Yep 8A seems ridiculously low but if you search 8 amp Delphi charger you'll get some hits showing the Input/Output data label on the back.

I'm not aware of any that went as high at 16. My 2017 came with a 12 amp but who knows if that was original to the car or something the dealership pulled out of a drawer when I purchased that car as a CPO. My new 2021 came with a 10amp unit in bubble wrap.

BL5 said:
My understanding was 2014-2018 was version 1 (16A?) and 2019+ was updated version with lower Amps?
The Occasional Use Cable that came with our 2014 U.S. i3 when we bought it new was 12 A.

My probably faulty recollection is that BMW started including 10 A versions pretty quickly, maybe even with some or all 2015 U.S. i3's. There might have been too many melted or overheating 120 V receptacles due to the poor condition of many old, oxidized receptacles with poor wiring connections or weak springs clamping down on the plug blades.

That’s what it was, 12A vs 10A. I knew there was a difference between the two. I have not seen an 8A out there, but will keep my eyes open.

Might sound minimal, but every AMP helps when there’s no L2 available.

There's a 10 A OUC being advertised for sale for $120 in the Facebook USA BMW i3 For Sale group. It's the late model version with the yellow cord. The seller is in Surprise, AZ.

Latest posts

Back