Yeah Tom!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After carrying the torch for so many of us for so long, well deserved Tom. Please enjoy.

Hooray!

Let the mileage race begin (again). We need a wotnogas i3 edition. (But sans the FB only login).

I wonder when he'll pass me. I'm 10 days in and 760 miles...

--Woof!

Thanks guys. Yeah, this has been along time coming for me. Really excited!

http://bmwi3.blogspot.com/2014/05/the-first-us-i3-rex-delivery-goes-to-me.html

In case the link is not working, here is a teaser:

tom_wrap_i3_2.jpg

Looks great, Tom!

Lola said:
I'm confused. Is this a new paint job or are the panels replaced?

The car has had a vinyl wrap applied. The original paint is intact underneath, and when Tom gets sick of Red, he can peel it off and enjoy his pristine paintwork that has been protected by the wrap.

The wrap is thin sheets of heat sensitive vinyl. If you need more information, there is masses of it on the web. Here is an article full of tips for carrying out the process:

http://www.signindustry.com/installation/articles/2005-03-11-MW-FullVehicleWrapHowTo.php3

Thanks guys!

As noted by a few here it is indeed a vinyl wrap which I can take off whenever I want. It protects the paint underneath so when I do take it off I'll have the original paint in like-new condition. I do like the original colors scheme but I wanted my car to have a distinctive look for a while. I'll probably take it off in about a year.

10275926_10201011149999815_695080274277302742_n.jpg

10300440_10201011149759809_1312333714446156023_n.jpg

10306078_10201011149479802_7215542831608810323_n.jpg

10177396_10201011150159819_8185398312758819795_n.jpg

10338642_10201014125154192_8925280285247632231_o.jpg

Looks great, Tom!

Can you tell us about the black out on the top of the front doors hiding the step in the windowline?

Definitely improves the look of the side profile.

Is that also wrap, and how does it look close up?

I33t said:
Looks great, Tom!

Can you tell us about the black out on the top of the front doors hiding the step in the windowline?

Definitely improves the look of the side profile.

Is that also wrap, and how does it look close up?

Yes. It is a black overlay. It does look better when you take a few steps back so you can see the effect it has smoothing out the window opening flow, but it doesn't look "bad" close up either.

TomMoloughney said:
Yes. It is a black overlay. It does look better when you take a few steps back so you can see the effect it has smoothing out the window opening flow, but it doesn't look "bad" close up either.

Hi Tom

I notice you've not wrapped the colour panel between the two gloss black sections at the rear of the car. Was that for any particular reason (difficult angles) or just cosmetic?

Oh and how do you get the door handles off? I know you said it was one screw so I guess it all becomes apparent once you remove the small plastic covers at the end of the external door handles, but I so far haven't been able to do that either?

Regards

Bill

Bunter said:
TomMoloughney said:

Hi Tom

I notice you've not wrapped the colour panel between the two gloss black sections at the rear of the car. Was that for any particular reason (difficult angles) or just cosmetic?

Oh and how do you get the door handles off? I know you said it was one screw so I guess it all becomes apparent once you remove the small plastic covers at the end of the external door handles, but I so far haven't been able to do that either?

Regards

Bill

I actually did wrap that rear panel in gloss black to match the two read diffusers on each side. I don't particularly like how the contrasting body color is surrounded by black in the rear.

I didn't take the handles off myself, the wrap shop did. I asked them how they did it and they said it was very simple, just one screw to remove in the door jamb and the whole unit comes apart. I see the screw there, just inside where the handle is. I can't imagine any decent wrap shop would have difficulty with it. They are used to taking cars apart to properly wrap them. This shop actually said the i3 is very easy compared to other cars.

TomMoloughney said:
I actually did wrap that rear panel in gloss black to match the two read diffusers on each side. I don't particularly like how the contrasting body color is surrounded by black in the rear.

I didn't take the handles off myself, the wrap shop did. I asked them how they did it and they said it was very simple, just one screw to remove in the door jamb and the whole unit comes apart. I see the screw there, just inside where the handle is. I can't imagine any decent wrap shop would have difficulty with it. They are used to taking cars apart to properly wrap them. This shop actually said the i3 is very easy compared to other cars.

Arh thanks Tom. The company I was dealing with was a bit sketchy about removing the handles, presumably because on some cars removing the handles means removing the whole door card which, with a few electronics and airbags etc might be tricky. Now I know where the screw is and that it's covered by a plastic grommet, they should have no problems.

Bill

Back