2017 i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S3RDP said:
terminus said:
jadnashuanh said:
That should become clearer in the next few months, as they are scheduled to start building them in July.
Of interest to UK readers: I heard reliably from a dealer in the UK today that, following a meeting for all UK dealers on 26th April, the public announcement of details of the new i3 will be on 2nd May. It was expected that delivery might start in September, for the UK, at least.

Good news. REx buyers will however need to get their orders in fairly quickly if they are going to get their MY 17 cars delivered and registered before the new flat rate vehicle tax rate (£140 pa) comes in next April and company/BIK changes also take effect. Fortunately it will not be applied retrospectively.
------------------------------
Moreover, if, like me, you fancy a new Rex "with all the trimmings" it will exceed the £40k threshold so I am having to budget for the supplementary £1550 over five years. 'Strewth!

On the timing of the new car, another dealer confirmed to me yesterday the date of internal announcement (26th April) and has promised to phone me on the 27th with details. Actually I suspect much will be embargoed until the 2nd May, but he might "spill some of the beans". If he does I will post here, of course.

terminus said:
S3RDP said:
Good news. REx buyers will however need to get their orders in fairly quickly if they are going to get their MY 17 cars delivered and registered before the new flat rate vehicle tax rate (£140 pa) comes in next April and company/BIK changes also take effect. Fortunately it will not be applied retrospectively.
------------------------------
Moreover, if, like me, you fancy a new Rex "with all the trimmings" it will exceed the £40k threshold so I am having to budget for the supplementary £1550 over five years. 'Strewth!

On the timing of the new car, another dealer confirmed to me yesterday the date of internal announcement (26th April) and has promised to phone me on the 27th with details. Actually I suspect much will be embargoed until the 2nd May, but he might "spill some of the beans". If he does I will post here, of course.

You must be ticking ALL the option boxes to get over £40k LEDS? HK? Suite? 20" 430s? Sunroof? Plus how much extra for 30kwh battery?

Boatguy said:
Is the new i3 going to support CarPlay and Android Auto? BMW's home grown Connected Drive etc is junk.

Doubt it. Connected Drive works and has improved over time. Can't see good reason for BMW ditching a working system and paying royalties to Google or Apple.

Just received information from my dealer on 2017 i3 in Canada. I can pre-order now.

2017MY BMW i3 94Ah Pricing and Product Information
BMW i is excited to announce the 2017MY BMW i3 will be featuring more than 50% increased battery capacity translating to a similar increase in driving range on a single charge. The 2017MY BMW i3 (94 Ah) has a capacity of 33 kilowatt hours (kWh) thanks to the higher energy density of the lithium ion cells. The new Battery Electric BMW i3, in varying weather conditions and with the air conditioning or heating turned on, a range of up to 200 Km combined (highway/city) is possible. This has been achieved by independent BMW real-world testing cycles in COMFORT mode. Significantly higher range is possible, with the European cycle achieving a range of more than 300Km under more ideal conditions. The Canadian official numbers will be available closer to launch. Another major addition to the base model is the DC Fast charger, previously a $750 option.
When equipped with the Range Extender, if the driver requires additional range, the 2-cylinder gasoline engine is automatically switched on once the battery is depleted to 6.5% state of charge and keeps the charge level of the battery constant while driving. The range extender receives a 25% increase in fuel tank size, for a total of 9 liters. The range extender can provide up to 150Km of additional range.

Some Pricing details:
2017MY Pricing
2017MY BMW i3 94Ah BEV $46,900 +$1,400 over 2016
2017MY BMW i3 94Ah Range Extender $51,500 +$2,000 over 2016

Sunroof is $1200.00 option

Boatguy said:
Fair to assume that's CND$, so about $38K USD for a base BEV?
Unfortunately, U.S. MSRP's probably can't be calculated by merely applying the current CAD -> USD exchange rate. If the U.S. base MSRP were really this low, that would be wonderful news. I'm guessing that the base MSRP for a 2017 U.S. 94aH BEV will be more than the 2016 base MSRP just as Canada's is. What explains the low base prices in Canada compared with in the U.S.?

BMW U.K. lists both 60 aH and 94 aH i3's being available in 2017. Is there any indication of this in Canada?

With BMW in the U.K. and Canada releasing details about the 2017 i3's, I would think that BMW USA would not be far behind.

alohart said:
Boatguy said:
Fair to assume that's CND$, so about $38K USD for a base BEV?
Unfortunately, U.S. MSRP's probably can't be calculated by merely applying the current CAD -> USD exchange rate. If the U.S. base MSRP were really this low, that would be wonderful news. I'm guessing that the base MSRP for a 2017 U.S. 94aH BEV will be more than the 2016 base MSRP just as Canada's is. What explains the low base prices in Canada compared with in the U.S.?

BMW U.K. lists both 60 aH and 94 aH i3's being available in 2017. Is there any indication of this in Canada?

With BMW in the U.K. and Canada releasing details about the 2017 i3's, I would think that BMW USA would not be far behind.

There was no listing of the 60 aH models. Not sure that would make sense here as the difference in price is marginal for the range increase. I can't see anyone going for that unless the 60 aH price drops substantially. I think there are a lot of 2015/16 i3's in dealer inventory currently. They are going to have to figure out how to move those.

I think you'll find that the Canadian cars may have some feature differences...one is (or at least was), they do not have TPMS...they rely on the anti-lock wheel sensors to determine differences in rotation rates caused by a tire being low to trigger a warning. There are probably other things as well that would impact the overall base price. Then, the exchange rate at the time of negotiations will determine the price to Germany's values, not those in the USA. Don't know if their import duty or warrantee structure is the same. IN many markets, the 'free' service warranty we get in the USA base price is an optional extra in many other places.

The one thing I plan to challenge the dealer on is the difference in increase between BEV and Rex. Why is there a $600.00 difference (+$2000 vs +$1400)?? As far as I can tell the only difference is battery range for both. I am suspicious that they try to claim the increase in Rex fuel tank size as the justification. I will be talking to them this week, so will let the group know.

Without a very careful examination of the standard features, it would be hard to say, but they might have made the staggered tires/wheels standard on all of the BEVs or made some other feature standard that wasn't there before. I think that in the USA, 2017 MY vehicles must have a rear view camera, which wasn't standard before (that may not take place until 2018 MY, but it's coming, if not already here). The tank size on the REx always was larger, it was just controlled via s/w to look smaller to meet the CAFE classification BMW wanted for the car.

jadnashuanh said:
Without a very careful examination of the standard features, it would be hard to say, but they might have made the staggered tires/wheels standard on all of the BEVs or made some other feature standard that wasn't there before. I think that in the USA, 2017 MY vehicles must have a rear view camera, which wasn't standard before (that may not take place until 2018 MY, but it's coming, if not already here). The tank size on the REx always was larger, it was just controlled via s/w to look smaller to meet the CAFE classification BMW wanted for the car.

I have the specifications (5 page PDF) and there is nothing different on the standard features from 2017 BEV to 2017 Rex except the rear wheel size difference on the Rex and the Aux cabin heating system on the BEV. Those are both carry over differences from the 2015/16's though. Everything else is checked exactly the same. I think the Rex is the more popular choice in Canada and that is what drives the additional charge. I will see how they respond though...

A little more information for Canadians:

Besides the phantom $600.00 charge for the REX over the BEV for the battery increase, It looks like BMW have re-arranged the packages. Below is an example re-config in 2017 of Suite (Tera for US):

Previous (2015):
Suite Interior - $4250.00
Technology - $2500.00
Total - $6750.00

2017:
Premium Package - $3000.00
Interior Design Selection - $850.00
Dalbergia leather - $900.00
Technology package - $2750.00
Total - $7500.00

Note: there is nothing different or new in these packages. Just a $750.00 surcharge. So the real cost for the 94Ah battery is +$2750.00 if you were previously looking at a Suite with Tech package.

I still think the increase is reasonable, but this is information you can use in negotiation with your dealer. I think I read somewhere that despite the increase in the 94Ah capacity, the cost to BMW for these new batteries has actually dropped. I suspect the margin on 2017's has increased substantially.

OWG said:
A little more information for Canadians:

Besides the phantom $600.00 charge for the REX over the BEV for the battery increase, It looks like BMW have re-arranged the packages. Below is an example re-config in 2017 of Suite (Tera for US):

Previous (2015):
Suite Interior - $4250.00
Technology - $2500.00
Total - $6750.00

2017:
Premium Package - $3000.00
Interior Design Selection - $850.00
Dalbergia leather - $900.00
Technology package - $2750.00
Total - $7500.00

Note: there is nothing different or new in these packages. Just a $750.00 surcharge. So the real cost for the 94Ah battery is +$2750.00 if you were previously looking at a Suite with Tech package.

I still think the increase is reasonable, but this is information you can use in negotiation with your dealer. I think I read somewhere that despite the increase in the 94Ah capacity, the cost to BMW for these new batteries has actually dropped. I suspect the margin on 2017's has increased substantially.

Thanks for sharing. I just started looking at the i3 recently in Canada, mainly got interested when seeing the 2017 with the battery increase. Going to take one for a test drive next week, wasn't sure if they were going to have 2017 pricing yet. The website doesn't have any online configs/build options yet.

From past experience, it is not unusual for BMW to not put configurator info on their website prior to when the model has actually started to build (in this case, July 2016). The dealerships do usually have enough info so they can put their orders in and get cars scheduled to be built prior to that for later delivery once production starts.

jadnashuanh said:
From past experience, it is not unusual for BMW to not put configurator info on their website prior to when the model has actually started to build (in this case, July 2016). The dealerships do usually have enough info so they can put their orders in and get cars scheduled to be built prior to that for later delivery once production starts.

Thanks. Figured that happens, though just found a configurator for 2016 for Canada (seems to be on a different site than the main bmw.ca) Funny enough, the url is identical to this forum but .ca instead of .com: http://www.mybmwi3.ca

joey003 said:
jadnashuanh said:

Thanks. Figured that happens, though just found a configurator for 2016 for Canada (seems to be on a different site than the main bmw.ca) Funny enough, the url is identical to this forum but .ca instead of .com: http://www.mybmwi3.ca

Yes, I stumbled upon the same, but the main configurator is still 2015 (can tell from the paint options). Horribly designed website though. I ultimately went in to request the test drive and had a quote generated for 2015 model. Went back to my contact for the quote on the 2017 and subsequent order. They gave me all the configuration sheets in PDF with the part/package numbers, pricing.

OWG said:
joey003 said:
jadnashuanh said:

Yes, I stumbled upon the same, but the main configurator is still 2015 (can tell from the paint options). Horribly designed website though. I ultimately went in to request the test drive and had a quote generated for 2015 model. Went back to my contact for the quote on the 2017 and subsequent order. They gave me all the configuration sheets in PDF with the part/package numbers, pricing.

Ahhh, that makes sense. I was wondering my the paint options had different names. Are you in Toronto? I'm actually in Hamilton and going to be taking the i3 for a test drive in Oakville. I originally asked someone I've known for a while who works at Budds BMW in Hamilton a couple years back if they have the i3 and i8, and he responded "No, but you don't want those cars anyway." Many people really seem to just write off these cars as insignificant.

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer for some pricing options - but any chance you'd be interested in sharing the 2017 PDFs? :)

The Hammer! Used to live in Hamilton. I am in Barrie now.

I agree on the dealers, they are so uninterested and uninformed.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward over.

OWG said:
The Hammer! Used to live in Hamilton. I am in Barrie now.

I agree on the dealers, they are so uninterested and uninformed.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward over.

Lol, the Hammer. Born there and grew up in Stoney Creek. I'll send you a PM, thanks!

Latest posts

Back