2017 i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.biztekmojo.com/002277/bmw-i3-2016-model-offers-195-miles-all-electric-motoring

Apparently some news outlets are posting that BMW upgraded the range figure to up to 195 miles on the 2017 i3. Unless they're misreporting the KM figure as miles, that would be a hell of an upgrade that would mean BMW is ready to compete with Tesla.

Either way if BMW did improve the range by 50% that should translate to 90-150 miles of range on the BEV.

thefuturenow said:
http://www.biztekmojo.com/002277/bmw-i3-2016-model-offers-195-miles-all-electric-motoring

Apparently some news outlets are posting that BMW upgraded the range figure to up to 195 miles on the 2017 i3. Unless they're misreporting the KM figure as miles, that would be a hell of an upgrade that would mean BMW is ready to compete with Tesla.

Either way if BMW did improve the range by 50% that should translate to 90-150 miles of range on the BEV.

Yeah, they likely took the km figure as miles, or maybe are reporting the range based on that more aggressive European figure? Probably the former though.

The i3 REx should easily reach that...maybe they meant that version? More likely, they got miles/km transposed.

The third generation batteries, due out probably in 2019, should reach that number, or close to it in BEV mode. Those are in the labs now and are projected to double the capacity of the existing ones, but, if I remember correctly, are slightly larger physically, which would correspond to a revision in the model as well to account for that dimensional difference. My guess, the inductive charging protocol being worked on will have become stable, and it may be included, and to keep up timeliness of recharging things, probably have a larger on-board charging system as well. I doubt you'll see much discussion about that until at least the 2017 MY vehicles are out...probably not until sometime in 2018. By then, a few more details on the i5 may be floating around, as prototypes will have to be out to work out the kinks. Looking forward to that one if the form factor is as many seem to think will be the basis.

bmwblog.com is saying that the US 2017 i3's will have both Comfort Access and Universal Garage Door Opener as standard. I'm very skeptical as I'm pretty sure this would be a first for BMW on a base model trim.

That means the only reason left for Tech Package would be the larger monitor and internal hard drive.

spinball said:
bmwblog.com is saying that the US 2017 i3's will have both Comfort Access and Universal Garage Door Opener as standard. I'm very skeptical as I'm pretty sure this would be a first for BMW on a base model trim.

That means the only reason left for Tech Package would be the larger monitor and internal hard drive.

Interesting. Do they have full order guides yet for the US? Seems that the Canadian ones have been around since May. ARTTI is also mentioned as standard for the US though it's part of the Tech package in Canada.

Latest posts

Back