3 day test drives increase BMW i3 sales

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exi3

bmw-i3-test-drives-Cali-2-750x562.jpg

A recent article on InsideEVs: http://insideevs.com/bmw-i3-three-day-test-drives-driving-sales/

"Nearly 140 BMW dealerships in the U.S. now offer the i3 on extended loan (up to 3 days-) for potential buyers to try before they buy."

Kenn Sparks, a BMW spokesperson, said “We offered the program to any dealer authorized to sell the i3,” he said in an interview. So far, he said, 138 have signed on, which is almost half of those offering the i3. Cars used in the program will most likely be offered for sale as “pre-owned. While technically a pilot, the response from customers and dealers has been so positive I imagine that we’ll keep it going.”

Some dealers have up to 4 i3s (BEVs and REXs) available for extended drives, while others will only have 1.

Demand for the test-drive vehicles is high. Keith Kubat, general sales manager at BMW of Greenwich in Connecticut, tell the New York Times that 25 people had signed up for the dealership’s lone i3 tester by early October. That books the car through the end of the year. Two who had driven this particular i3 later committing to buying.

I bought mine because of the 3 day extended test drive. If I wasn't able to do it I would have waited for the Tesla Model E to come out to test drive that. I liked it so much and was able to determine if the range of the BEV model would work, which it did, much to the chagrin of my pocketbook. ;)

The 3 day test was the reason I chose one dealer over another. The other guy just wanted me to take the test drive at another dealer and then come and buy from them. I figured that if they are that cheap and cynical, I don't want to have anything to do with them: gaming BMW and their fellow dealers does not inspire confidence that they won't do the same to me.

I've been debating an i3 vs another Volt as my lease draws to a close. My first test drive was back in July when my local dealer first got some inventory, but my extended drive is two weeks out.

I watch inventory on cars.com and if has been shrinking over the past month. I think this sales approach will help not only people like who know EVS, but those who don't. Good move, BMW!

Back